Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Change Plan fees? - $50 My PlanSIM only to $60 My Plan SIM only

[ Edited ]
A45A351

Hi,

I am currently on the $50 My Plan Plus SIM only (still on contract). If I change to the $60 My Plan Plus SIM Only (12 month), will there be any cancellation fees, and am I able to change online myself?

Also, will I be entitled to the double data? 

Thanks for any clarification.

This is what a Customer Service rep on live chat told me, however I don't believe that is correct:

"But moving from sim to sim plan there is cancellation charges if you go for phone and plan there will be no charges".

"If you want to do rate plan change (to the $60 My Plan SIM only 12onth) then you can do that but you will get only 50gb data"

"Because that offer (double data) is for new and existing customers who are re contracting to new plan"

"If 12 month contract is not (finished) then there will be cancellation charge you need to pay then re contract to new plan"

The CIS for the $50 My Plan Plus 12M SIM Only (Online) states:

Plan changes You can change your plan during your contract term to another 12M SIM Only (Online) plan provided you move to a plan with a higher monthly access fee. You cannot change your plan during the contract term to a plan with the same or lower monthly access fee. If you change your plan during your contract term a fee may apply.

Re: Change Plan fees? - $50 My PlanSIM only to $60 My Plan SIM only

SamSam

A couple things with this.

1. You won't get the double data, that's for new and recontracting customers and you are neither

2. When changing plans, you need to change to the plan in your "plan family". Basically what you see online won't necessarily be the one you're changing to because it may be newer and not in the same family. There will likely be an equivalent within your own family though, reps on Live Chat or the phone should be able to explain that

3. No cancellation fee's as you're moving up

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

[ Edited ]
A45A351

1. If i am changing to to the $60 My Plan Plus SIM 12 month isn't the 12 month contract considered "recontracting"?

2. The plan is from the same family - $50 My Plan Plus SIM 12 month to the $60 My Plan Plus SIM 12 month. I am currently on the $50 plan with double data, however wanted to move to the $60 MPP SIM with double data.

3. No Cancellation fees, is what I thought, however the customer service on live chat didn't think the same.

So if i change from the $50 My Plan Plus to the $60 My Plan Plus SIM only 12 month contract will I get the double data?

Hopefully a mod can clarify all this for me, as the Live Chat Reps don't seem to be knowledgeable or require more training.

petergdownload

I think SamSam and the Rep are basically guiding you correctly. 

The special offer is not relevant as you are not elligible for it. You are free to go to a more expensive plan that you are elligible for.

It might be worth some hoop jumping though? How far in your plan are you? The CIS should show the (usually small) cancellation fee that gets less as you go through the plan. If you end the plan and just move to month to month then its possible to then move to this double data plan (although that involves more hoops). Is this a possible option for you?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

SamSam

1. You wouldn't be recontracting though, just changing plans. If you recontract, that's when the break of contract fee's would potentially come into play

2. When did you sign up to the $50 plan? Just because the name is the same doesn't make it from the same family. If you only recently signed up then you might be right though, could still be the same family.

3. Refer to point 1 but I'm on your side for that one

I don't think you'll be getting the double data unfortuantely. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

A45A351

Probably need some clarification on the term "recontracting"

1. If i was to change to the $60 my Plan Plus does the 12 month not restart? And if so, does that not constitute a "recontract"? Please correct me if im wrong, however as I understand it, if I change to another plan the 12 month would 'restart'.

2. I signed up to the $50 My Plan Plus 12 month only 2 months ago, so currently getting the double data from the the promotion 2 months ago, however wanted to see if its possible to go to the $60 MPP SIM 12 month and get the double data (50GB+50GB totalling 100GB)

petergdownload

I can see your logic. But logic isn't in issue here. You are simply ineligible for the Double Data offer (as an existing customer) the fact you already have double data doesn't change that.

So what you are asking to do is simply move (base) plans, any specials etc for the new plan are subject to the standard rules for that plan. If the double data offer was available to existing customers then you'd be able to get it too.

As with Sam I agree the cancelation fee doesn't apply for moving to a more expensive plan. If you're happy with that then you'll likely get a different answer from the next CS if you check back in again. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

1. Not how I read the CIS. Your plan stays on its current timeline you just pay more (and get more I suppose). The CIS also says doing this  If you change your plan during your contract term a fee may apply.  But I haven't heard of that actually happening.

2. A very logical propisition. Its likely the CS don't have the flexability to offer that but as you say, perhaps a mod can do it for you. I think you've exhausted the limit of my advice.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

A45A351

Hopefully a mod can clarify if:

1. Changing plans in my case restarts the contract or not (i.e. is that considered a 'recontract' or the inital contract continues)

2. Whether the double data applies if I do change to the new plan

3. Whether there are any fees involved

Thanks.

SamSam

Changing plans doesn't restart the 12 month contract term which is why it's not a recontract. If you have 7 months left now and change, you'll still have 7 months left. 

That's the main point because the double data offer IS available for recontracting customers but in order for you to recontract I believe you need to break your existing contract which results in break of contract fee's 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
73 Kudos
51 Kudos