Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor Tom020
Contributor

Caught! used 999mb of 1000mb allowance, and still charged excess data fee

Hi all,
I recently had some issues with my data usage not updating and telling me when I get close to my allowance.
This time around (this billing cycle) for the most part it updated me when I was getting close to using all of my data.

The afternoon before the new billing cycle, the optus app said there was around 940mb used, but then I received a text (while I was using my phone so I picked it up straight away) saying that I had exceeded my data limit and I had been charged another $10 for 1gb more, which would then be nullified the next day (next bililng cycle).
I immediately turned off my mobile data, and waited for the optus app to update my usage via wifi at home.

When the optus app finally updated at 11:30pm at night, it showed that my usage was 999mb used of 1000mb allowance.
I screen shot it just incase Optus wanted proof.

Fortunately, I went onto live chat, told the agent about what had happened, and they said they will waive the fee as soon as it shows up for them.

Problem solved.

Just thought I would put this up so that others can see that optus actually will charge you $10 for the extra 1gb 4 hours before a new billing cycle starts, even if you have not "exceeded" but merely got close to exceeding your usage allowance.

My Phone settings "dada usage" section showed that I used 1.16gb, during that same period, but take off the apps that dont count as usage, and it comes to a total of 999mb used (same as what the optus app said).

So if Optus says you have exceeded your data limit, don't believe it...

Also Optus,
why the heck do you make the data breakdown impossible to figure out the "total" data usage for previous bills?
I get the feeling you do this on purpose so that customers cannot dispute the amount of data you say they used when they complain.
All the charts used in the data breakdown only give you a rough idea of how much each app used separately, but the little circle icon at the top showing the colors does not show you the total in megabytes.
Seems like a tactic to disadvantage the customer to me.

7 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Caught! used 999mb of 1000mb allowance, and still charged excess data fee

The crime is not so much that their data metering is woeful, but that they charge $10 for going over it, when their tablet plans and large phone plans are establishing a $1 per GB cost. I don't see how there is any justification for charging that way.

I had a small problem with Virgin Broadband, where my data started being shaped about 250MB prior to my limit. Staff said that the website was wrong, and I had downloaded that much.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The only thing I'll say is the Optus app isn't always completely up to date. Even if it did just update, doesn't mean all of your data has been rated and as such what's shown straight after the update could still be missing some MB's. It'd be nice if the tools they provide worked the way they should though so you could accurately watch your quota and ensure you're not charged extra. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

They just came out with a 140GB x 12m data sim for $70, so maybe you don't have to watch your data, if you put that in the pool.

0 Kudos
New Contributor SirWhingealot69
New Contributor

I agree, the data usage and data breakdown features are misleading and erroneous, sometimes even downright false. They aren't faulty though, they're performing their intended task methinks. 

It amazes me that when I upgraded my data from 8GB to 15GB four months ago, three of those months I have apparently used 2GB, 2GB and 3GB extra data. The one month I wasn't charged for excess data, I was charged for a third party 'X' rated subscription which I never consented to or approved, but that's another can of worms entirely. 

It boggles the mind though, just how quickly the last '$10 for an extra 1GB' is used, it borders on impossible.  Especially when my phone is on wifi and I conscionably restrict data usage. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor weissenborn
Occasional Contributor

The "$10 for an extra 1 GB" is an Optus SCAM that fleeces customers out of their money. And it's 100% legal for Optus to scam their customers in this way. Some Optus plans do "not" give you the option to opt out of the  "automatic" application of $10 for an extra 1 GB, and with some plans you used to have to apply for any extra data after your normal monthly data allowance was used up.... "if" you wanted to. Optus now DENIES that personal choice to their customers.

Why do they deny that choice? Because by "automatically" applying the extra 1GB for $10 many customers are CAUGHT OUT unawares that they have exceeded the total monthly data allowance. This often happens in the last day or two of the monthly billing cycle BEFORE uesd data is fully updated on your account ..... there's usually a 1 to 2 day delay in data updates.

LOTS of customers would be scammed in this way. If 100,000 customers get charged each for just 1 GB of extra data, that means Optus gets ONE MILLION extra dollars just for that alone. THAT'S why Optus "automatically" provides extra data on certain plans whether you want it or not. And they provide it at the exorbitant price of $10 for every extra 1 GB that they "automatically" assign to your account.

Shame on Optus.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Data-Usage/Disable-automatic-1GB-top-up/td-p/585486

They all do it, and at the same price... like an enormous anti-competitive price fixed cabal. Who knew?

I wrote to ACCC and got no reply. Also minister for comms.

0 Kudos
New Contributor lpr59
New Contributor

I asked vodafone about their "red" plans today and no surprise they auto add $10/1GB  when you finish your allowance -- another proud cabal member

0 Kudos
Top Contributors