Searching...

Mobile

Cancelling my mobile plan due to moving to a Telstra only area

Zanin77

Re: Cancelling my mobile plan due to moving to a Telstra only area

Zanin77

Hi I have tried looking on all the website and apps and no luck.

My contract runs out in Oct 2018

10000000000GB

You cancel a mobile contract by porting your number to Aldi, Boost or whatever. The company you go to cancels the Optus contract and then you get sent a big bill.

MiCCAS

Hey @Zanin77,

In most cases, your contact with Optus will include an early termination fee if you break it early - so it's a good idea to confirm the amount so you're not hit with an unexpectedly high bill once you leave.

There are some handy tips and tools available at the following link, and if it's not clear then the friendly team on live chat can help - http://yesopt.us/chat2us

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/how-to-get-your-contract-end-date?requestType=NormalRequ...

It's also worth double checking the coverage in your area, just in case - you can check here: https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage

If you definitely don't have coverage, and you're comfortable with the cost, then you can simply port out to another provider. Optus will be notified that you're leaving, and they'll send you your final bill.

Hope that helps.

Michael.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Use the LIVECHAT feature here online and ask the customer service person what the payout figure is for your phone.

If you are paying off the handset as well then that will obviously become due. Optus usually subsidise the handset payment while you are a customer but won't when you cancel (so monthly payments could increase $10 to $30)

Also contract all vary with some having around a $400 cancellation fee and others no fee at all. The fee is prorated so if your 14 months into a 24 month contract then you'll be charged say $170 in the above example.

In general any plan payments (for the data) will simply stop the day you request it though.

Note that you'll will need to cancel and pay out the remaining amount of the plan. Optus won't waive your contract just because you've decided to move somewhere else.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10000000000GB

Cancelling Telstra contracts is hideous. You almost have to pay the whole lot, without getting any service. Optus is a lot more generous.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
72 Kudos
59 Kudos
43 Kudos