Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cancelling a lease plan

Hi there I'm just wondering I am on a lease plan and wanting to swap my phone with someone. Is that possible? Or if someone buys my phone, if something happens to it what can they do as the plan is in my name?? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cancelling a lease plan

As far as I understand you don't own the phone if you lease it and subsequently you will need to return it at some stage. I guess if you never own it selling or swapping it would be a problem.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/lease

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus leases are heavily weighted to disadvantage the customer. If you lose or damage the phone you must pay Optus to fix or replace it. You must use Optus for any repairs. You end the contract not owning the phone. And as you've found out, you can't transfer the lease in any legal mannner. All this risk for just a couple of dollars off the monthly price.

The exact same deal is available without any of these downsides also from Optus (and you own the phone at the end of the contract)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi Charliebear, 

As per the information on the link sent through by Yeldarb, at the end of your lease you can return the phone to Optus in good working order (If it's damaged, a damage fee will apply), make an offer to buy the phone at fair market value or continue your lease for up to six more months. If you think there's a possibility of swapping this phone with someone else during your contract, it might not be the best idea to go on a leasing plan. If the phone is not returned at the end of the plan or is returned damaged, you'll need to pay the market value or a damage fee. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos