cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor GT33448
New Contributor

Cancellation of Account

Recently I have moved out of Australia back home. Before I left, I went to an Optus store and asked to cancel my membership. The store attendant told me to reconsider it, to not cancel it in case I might want to keep the number. My main concern was whether or not I would still be charged a monthly fee. The attendant assured me that they will take care of it and that I would not be charged.

To my surprise I recently received a $100 bill from Optus despite me not using the service at all. I am very disappointed as I changed my plans after being assured by the Optus store attendant that I would not be charged anything to keep my number.  

Has any of you experienced this situation and if so did Optus compensate you accordingly? Thank you.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cancellation of Account

Hi, it's a bit unclear what has happened. You went into cancel your plan, but then you say you decided to change plans instead? I take it you have kept your number? Are you returning to Australia in a while again?

When you cancel a post paid plan (contract) you will lose your number. I don't think Optus have any inbuilt way to keep it. Normally you would go to a Telco in your new country and ask to put the number to one of their plans. Although I'm not sure if that's possible internationally.

Cancelling a plan also often has a cancellation fee. Is the $100 for that?

But finally, as a work around you can 'park' your mobile number in a long term pre paid account. This might of been what was done? $100 gets you 365 days and then another 186 days before you lose your number. You can recharge again just before that for another 18 months etc.

Just a bit strange it was $100 as $60 is all that is needed.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Amaysim and Aldi are a lot cheaper places to park numbers

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Optus works out to $3.30 a month. Which isn't too bad. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors