Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor msdathk
New Contributor

Cancel failure, typical Optus.

I called to cancel my contract due to the Nat Geo app no longer being available as this was a contract change (apparently).

The operator was fine with this, and organised a reply paid parcel to be delivered and explicitly said that the contract will be cancelled upon receiving the phone in working order and there's no charge due to the change in contract.

I spoke to online chat to double check when I can send back the mobile, I have 14 days from receiving the parcel. However the chat operator kept asking about the cancellation and why I was leaving and wouldn't just give me the damn timeframe. I think this person has incompetently screwed with my cancellation request..

Now, I just received a bill for $800+ for the remainder of my contract... As the chat and account systems are under maintenance is there anyone here who can clear this rubbish up..

This isn't the first time Optus has been so incompetent I don't understand why this always happens and honestly I just want to be as far away from this poor excuse of a company as possible. It's absolutely ridiculous and pathetic how they treat long term paying customers.. how exciting that I get to raise another TIO complaint because Optus can't do ONE thing right.

They're nothing but a bunch of dense cabbages.

I called to cancel my contract due to the Nat Geo app no longer being available as this was a contract change (apparently).

The operator was fine with this, and organised a reply paid parcel to be delivered and explicitly said that the contract will be cancelled upon receiving the phone in working order and there's no charge due to the change in contract.

I spoke to online chat to double check when I can send back the mobile, I have 14 days from receiving the parcel. However the chat operator kept asking about the cancellation and why I was leaving and wouldn't just give me the damn timeframe. I think this person has incompetently screwed with my cancellation request..

Now, I just received a bill for $800+ for the remainder of my contract... As the chat and account systems are under maintenance is there anyone here who can clear this rubbish up..

This isn't the first time Optus has been so incompetent I don't understand why this always happens and honestly I just want to be as far away from this poor excuse of a company as possible. It's absolutely ridiculous and pathetic how they treat long term paying customers.. how exciting that I get to raise another TIO complaint because Optus can't do ONE thing right.

They're nothing but a bunch of dense cabbages.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cancel failure, typical Optus.

Optus (and all content providers) generally have provisions in the contract saying they can't guarantee content. That changes can be made that are beyond their control. This isn't a change of contract.

When you ring Optus support and request to cancel your contract then this is doable but there are usually exit fees etc. It should have been made clear to you what the exit cost would be.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor msdathk
New Contributor

The exit fee was $0 as he specified.

I was aware of the fee and I questioned him on that, said there was nothing to pay.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I can only suggest you look up your CIS yourself. As mentioned the stopping of Nat Geo isn't a change of contact in any legal sense. Your final bill should indicate why you were charged. Handset fee? We're you on a lease? I'd suggest talking to the Facebook Optus team. They seem empowered to quickly fix up issues.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor msdathk
New Contributor

The operator said it's fine and no exit fee, is this confusing you or something?

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm not the one with the bill. Although you have stated "(apparently)" [a change of contract] which is a bit ambiguous. Is this your thinking or what you've been told? Because as mentioned its not a change that meets the criteria of being able to end the contract unilaterally and without penalty.

FWIW operators get things wrong. Sometimes customers and operators can talk at cross purposes. For example an 'Exit Fee' is a very specific charge. This may be different from your 'Payout fee' or 'Handset Fee'.  

Anyway, I've given my suggestions as where you can best try resolve the bill. The forum mods have no ability to look at your account directly and you won't get any direct action here.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi msdathk,

Disappointing to hear this isn't as straight forward as it sounds like it should be.

I myself received a text message a week or so ago advising I have until the 5th of December, 2019 to cancel my service/contract due to the Nat Geo app no longer being available.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors