Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Can't upgrade to a higher plan

Steve_Buckley

I've just signed up with Optus and took the $25 starter plan (3GB Data) I was told I could upgrade to a higher plan if I needed to when I signed on.
My new house has really bad ADSL internet so I was considering upgrading my mobile data and selected the new $35 a month 30GB plan.
After selecting the plan on line was then told there would be an exit charge of $400 for me to change to a new plan as I have still got 12 months left on the plan.
Been bounced around by the sales team with no other choices other than cough up $400...is this for real?
Being charged an exit fee to move to a more expensive service....wtf?

Re: Can't upgrade to a higher plan

SamSam

This is what I found in the Critical Information Summary:

Plan changes

You can change your plan during your contract term to another 12-month My Mobile Broadband Plus plan provided you move to a plan with a higher monthly access fee. You cannot change your plan during the contract term to a plan with the same or lower monthly access fee. If you change your plan during your contract term a fee may apply.

Sounds to me like you should be fine to change plans given you're going up, just not sure if you'd be able to go back down. I'd try calling again and if that doesn't work, lodge a complaint - https://offer.optus.com.au/for-you/support/complaints

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

petergdownload

My only thought is is the $25 plan a "My Mobile Broadband Plus" plan?

You generally can't move between plan "families" even if going up in monthly payments.

Peter Gillepsie

Steve_Buckley

My plan is the SIM only "Starter Plan" which is the same one you will get if you move to Optus with your own phone today.
Unless there is a fine print clause written in invisible ink anyone would assume that they would be happy to take an extra $10 a month off me.
If not I can just stay on 3GB, it's not going to kill me.
I've lodged a complaint. watch this space.

petergdownload

The value of the money depends on the discounts applied in each family.

You might be paying $25 for 3Gb and your "plan family" could allow for $45 for 10gb. A special promo of $35 for 10Gb might also exist. Either way Optus provide 10Gb more but they'll insist you pay the extra $20, not the $10.

I take it you signed up online for the starter pack and not in store?

Peter Gillepsie

SamSam

Think I can see the problem now. Going on the values and inclusions you've mentioned in your original post, it looks like you're on a mobile SIM only plan, not a data SIM plan. See here - https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/sim-only

It looks like the $35 for 30GB is a special offer that's available to new and recontracting customers and the $35 for 6GB is for existing customers. To recontract, you need pay out your existing contract hence the fee. I'd say they'll happily move you to the 6GB plan though

Capture.JPG

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Dan_C

I think I understand where you're coming from. 

For example, say you've signed onto a non-promo version of the My Plan Plus SIM only 12M plan.

Usually, you'd only be able to select from a plan within the non-promo range of plans. 

There's usualy a clause that states you cannot rate plan change onto this plan, but I can't find that on the plan CIS. 

From @SamSam screen shot, the 3GB plan does appear alongside the 30GB plan. 

The $25.00 12M SIM plan CIS Shows in brackets, 'special promo.'

The My Promo Plus 12M SIM CIS shows in brackets, 'OCT 18.' 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Steve_Buckley

No, they said I cannot upgrade to ANY plan without the charge.
I can cancel the service for $150 and go elsewhere or I can just park the phone and use another SIM instead and pay $25 a month until September 2019
I was offered the 30GB plan when I signed up, the old 6GB one is just there to show you want a "great deal" they are offering you.
As far as I can see the $35 plan is the one they are generally selling and I am eligible for it (The online ordering system recommended and processed it for me.)
None of it makes sense at all really.

Dan_C

Hmm, I might be able to assist.

Feel free to send us a private message.

I'll need your full name, DOB and mobile number.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Steve_Buckley

Yeah, it's just a complete **** up really. I've got confirmation of the complaint. Now I just have to wait for some poor bastard to call me and appollogise for someone elses mistake and process the order.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
75 Kudos
62 Kudos
54 Kudos
49 Kudos