Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Can't make or receive calls after phone unlock

Hey @GokulNandan - What's the exact model of your Oppo device? Are you able to use the device with another network at all? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
GokulNandan
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

hi Shauna, I am using oppo CH1725, I am unable to make or receive calls after changing sim to different network, I bought this phone from optus.

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the update, @GokulNandan. What network are you currently using? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Acid_Princess
New Contributor
New Contributor

I’m having the exact same issue with a ZTE.. Paid the $25 to have it unlocked, enter the PIN number I was given with my receipt number after purchase and it looked like it was successful.. Put my Telstra Sim in and it won’t let me make or receive calls, I can send and receive text messages and browse the web, but no phone calls.. I have been researching for over 4 HOURS and have tried every trouble shooting step known to man and still nothing.. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!!

You talk to Optus and they tell you it must be a phone or Telstra issue but it is not!!! The phones work, and the other carriers’ SIM cards work perfectly in any other unlocked phone.. I have read dozens of forums with A LOT of other people having the EXACT same issue -

Go through the correct process of having an OPTUS phone unlocked, put another carriers SIM card in, can’t make or receive phone calls but can text and browse -

We can’t all be going crazy!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP US OPTUS!! THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM WITHOUT ANY REAL SOLUTIONSS!!!!

0 Kudos
Tano
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @Acid_Princess, prepaid devices that we sell can only support certain frequencies on the 3G network, and as Telstra uses different frequencies, this may impact your ability to make and receive calls. In this instance it may well be that the phone doesn't support the corresponding network.

0 Kudos
Gemma87
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

There is a app that made my phone work. The frequency does not work as the comment below said!!! Yay Optus why is this not told to your customers??? 

Ok I will send u all info just 2 mins

0 Kudos
Gemma87
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The app is called mtk engineer app it’s free to download. 

Click on android testing 

Select phone testing

Change select preferred network to gsm/wcdma (auto)

Click on the options menu, the 3 dots on the top of the corner of your screen

select radio band, first or too option. This should bring up the set the gsm/utms band mode menu

Select automatic

This will unlock your frequency but you have to do this each time u turn your phone of or restarts. 

I got this info on here. Hope this helps guys!

GokulNandan
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,  I was with optus, I bought a new sim from belong which runs on telstra network.  I have tried to fix this issue by downloading the mkt engineer app but you can't alter settings on an oppo A73  models.  I guess I'll just have to write a formal complaint and let the people higher up know about this major issue which packs some really misleading infor, thanks to optus

0 Kudos
Acid_Princess
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for replying @Tano, but that doesn’t help anyone here at all.. I think it beggars belief that you just told me that OPTUS is aware that there can be a “frequency glitch” with phones locked to OPTUS being unlocked and used with another carriers SIM card..

But isn’t the point of PAYING to UNLOCK an Optus phone, is that it should be unlocked to freely use other carriers SIM cards?!?!?!?!?!

Where is the consumers warning that it MAY STILL NOT WORK once unlocked to anyone but Optus ANYWAY?!?!?!

Where was the disclaimer before charging customers for the unlock fee?!?!?!?

If I had known it might not work anyway after PAYING, I would not have gone through with it, I would have just bought a new unlocked phone.. I agree entirely with @GokulNandan, I will be writing a formal complaint to Optus because that is really not good enough, and I’m sure there is something not quite legal with this at all...

TechBoy007
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Had the same problem with my oppo a73 when I unlocked it and tried to use the Belong (Telstra) network.

Searched everywhere (and found this page) to no avail.

Then I found out how to change it so I thought I would register an account and post the solution here.

(1) Enter *#800#* to open the MTK engineering settings.
Go to Telephony> Bandmode> SIM1 and enable the 850 band mode by checking the box and pressing SET.

(2)  Change Network Selecting from lte/umts —> lte/utms/gsm

(3) Change Bandmode to include Wcdma-clr-850 enabled

Now I can make instant phone calls