cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can faulty phones be fixed through Optus?

I have a Pixel 3 that is less than a year old. About October last year the camera started glitching. I spoke to someone from Google and after a lot of troubleshooting, they told me that my phone still has over two years warranty left so I can get it looked at. They told me I could either send the phone to Google for repair, or see Optus. So today I went to Optus, but they told me because I don't have insurance it's nor their problem, and Google is just trying to "palm off" the problem to Optus. Is this true? This web page says that phones under warranty can be repaired through Optus.
https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1438
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can faulty phones be fixed through Optus?

No the Optus Rep is the one giving you self serving, incorrect and i1legal advice here (they should know better). Separate to any warranty or insurance are the Australia Consumer Laws. These apply to just about any product or service you buy in Australia and can not be side stepped (its illegal to suggest that they don't apply). As the seller Optus can't just palm you off to the manufacturer (although you can approach both to have the issue resolved.

Essentially goods must be fit for purpose and remain so for a reasonable time. You can read more about them here

That said, it may be better to go through Google directly. Its a fair bet that Optus will just return the phone to Google themselves for repair anyway. If google have said yes then they should arrange for a way for you to send the phone in (they are responsible for transport costs as well under the ACL). 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors