cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can I cancel my device but keep my plan?

I have a $49 Optus Choice Medium Month to Month Sim plan which I am really happy with.

At the same time of taking this plan earlier this year, I purchased a Samsung A51 Device with Optus also over a 24 month period, am actually wanting to cancel the device only and repay it in full but keep my SIM plan. Is that possible?

I have actually upgraded my phone so I want to pay out the A51 and sell it as it is now surplus to my requirements.

I did use the Live chat feature and was told that I couldn't cancel a device whilst on this Month by Month SIM plan . But that seemed strange to me as they seem to be separately identified on my monthly bill.

Just after some guidance/advice on this and what my options are.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Can I cancel my device but keep my plan?

@Jotago wrote:
I want to pay out the A51 and sell it as it is now surplus to my requirements.

The simplest thing to do is just go ahead and sell it and keep paying the monthly handset repayments as usual. 

Its not a leased phone (right?) so Optus have no say in what you can or can not do with it.

Highlighted

Hi @Jotago,  yes you can certainly  cease the device repayments and continue paying for the plan. All our new plans are SIM only offers and you can have these changed anytime or just pay for the plan. Please note once you cancel your device your next bill will have a device payout charged. 

You can have this sorted from MY Optus App messaging.  If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media (Facebook or Twitter) account then please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for responding 😀  Correct it is not a leased plan.    I did consider doing that and selling the A51.  👍  Appreciate you taking the time to reply, thanks so much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for responding - Correct it is not a leased plan. I did consider doing that and selling the A51. Appreciate you taking the time to reply, thanks so much.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

@Aman_YC  Thank you very much for your advice on this, I have just spent a bit of time on MY Optus App messaging and have got this resolved!!!!  😁  Really appreciate your help!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Jotago, happy to help. Have a great day. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors