Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Call forwarding no longer working after carrier settings (28.3) update

mcgel

Hi Crowd

I have two iPhones (iPhone6 and iPhone6s+) which are both on the latest iOS (i.e. 10.3.1) and went from carrier settings OPTUS 28.0 to 28.3.

When I applied the carrier settings to the first phone I found that call forwarding from the phone stopped working reporting the following error: Error performing request    Unknown Error

I didn't apply it to the second phone and confirmed call forwarding still worked before the update. I then allowed the carrier settings to be applied to the second phone and now it cannot perform call forwarding either. 

One possible Bly idea is that the new carrier settings don't allow the phone to go from 4G to 3G to apply the network update as it just stays on 4G the whole time. Prior to the update I would always see it go to 3G to perform the call forwarding update and then switch back to 4G. This could be unrelated as I was in a 3G only area today and I was still unable to perform call forwarding.

I use call forwarding every week day and really need this functionality working again. 

Any my information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

mcgel

Re: Call forwarding no longer working after carrier settings (28.3) update

glenn0

Hi brother,

I've got an iPhone 7 Plus with OPTUS 28.3, on 4G.

I just activated a call forward to Pizza Hut and called myself, call forwarding worked fine.

What sort of call forwarding were you doing? All numbers, or selective call forwarding?

FullSizeRender.jpg

-------------------

Loyal Optus customer. My opinions are my own.

mcgel

Thank you for your response.  I tried replying yesterday afternoon and last night but received Apache web server issues indicating the Yes Crowd website wasn't working properly.

Regards to call forwarding, I've tried using two methods which always worked prior to the update:

1.  On iPhone selecting: Settings->Phone->Call Forwarding; or

2.  Via saved dialing codes which are:

a)  *21*0212345678# to enable; and

b)  ##21# to disable.

I believe both are call forwarding without the mobile ringing and therefore using code 21 to achieve this (see here).  Doing it via the phone meant I got the same icon you have between the 4G and VPN icons (i.e. a handset with an arrow beside it).  I've tried resetting the phone plus a hard reset as well.  Also, as mentioned before, the problem appears to be with the carrier settings and not the iOS update as I was able to test this on the during the second phone being updated in stages.  I also found I can disable 4G in the phone (i.e. revert to 3G) and found this still does not fix the issues.

[Update]

I have now found if I disable 4G and then restart the phone as 3G only, call diversion is working most of the time.  Sometimes I have to do it more than once but it does start working again.  This is significantly quicker and easier than doing it via the website.

Cheers,

mcgel

mcgel

Found another user who sounds as though they're experiencing the same issue I am (see here).

Also now discovered that call diversion won't work with WiFi enabled.  However, with both 4G and WiFi disabled, I can get call diversion working most of the time.

Ash-'s thread on this mentions it could be linked to the rollout of VoLTE which sounds plausible as this was made available under iOS 10.3 and service provider settings OPTUS 28.3.  Ash-'s thread also mentions the following: "This is a known issue and Optus engineering has apparently already advised Apple."

Fingers-crossed, this is just teething problems with introducing a new capability and the 'old' call diversion capability is better supported in later carrier setting releases.

Cheers,

mcgel

Solution

mcgel

Via more testing and a second user (one Amaysim which wholesale's Optus and one with Optus directly) I have confirmed the following will work everytime:

1. Disable 4G (On iPhone this is via Settings->Mobile->Mobile Data Options->Enable 4G)

Set to Off
  2. Ensure you're not on WiFi network, if on WiFi temporarily disable it (e.g. via Control Centre or Settings)
  3. Attempt call diversion codes 4 times (the first 3 will return an error, see screenshots below) but on the forth time it will succeed (see screenshot).  I use a saved number which is *#21# which checks the status of call diversion and is quicker then enabling or disabling call diversion (especially if saved as a favourite).
  4. Now call diversion will work, use *21*0287654321# to enable (e.g. your work number including area code) and ##21# to disable (e.g. when going home).  I divert all calls with code 21, other code options here.

The OPTUS 28.3 carrier settings get applied with iOS 10.3.1 and unfortunately iOS 10.3.2 did not include a carrier settings update so this problem still exists in the latest iOS update available (as of 23 May 2017).

Example screenshots attached.Screens.png

Gen_R

Hey mcgel! Thanks for sharing. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Solution

mcgel

Carrier settings 'OPTUS 28.4' now released and appears to have fixed the problem.  There's been a few instances where I have had to run it twice but it does end up working.

If you haven't been asked to install the new carrier settings yet, connect your iPhone with iTunes and it should then ask if you want them installed.

DJ83x

Hi @mcgel

Hope the latest carrier update sorted out the issue =)

Croupier

What to do, im on a iphone 6s 10.3.3 OPTUS 28.4 and call forwarding not working, going OS in one week and desperate to get it working, called optus technical support tried disabling 4g tried applying through keypad codes, app and iphone settings, still NADA.

Very dissapointing and frustration (

mcgel

Hi Croupier

Have you tried connecting the iPhone to a computer with iTunes installed as this might force a refresh of the carrier settings.  Unsure if you performed the iOS update via Wireless or not.

Furthermore, can you confirm you've tried the following steps (re-pasted from steps above which also includes screenshots):

1. Disable 4G (On iPhone this is via Settings->Mobile->Mobile Data Options->Enable 4G), Set to Off
2. Disable WiFi (e.g. via Control Centre or Settings)
3. Attempt call diversion codes (or use the standard Call Forwarding functionality of the phone) at least 4 times.  The first few times will return an error but on about the forth time it will succeed.  I use a saved number which is *#21# which checks the status of call diversion and is quicker then enabling or disabling call diversion (especially if saved as a favourite).
4. Now call diversion will work, use *21*0287654321# to enable (e.g. your work number including area code) and ##21# to disable (e.g. when going home).  I divert all calls with code 21, other code options in link provided in previous posted version of these steps.

I believe you're experiencing the same issues I had and the phone needs to be on 3G before it can update the network settings.

If all the above fails, one of these two final suggestions should definitely work.  Use the My Optus app via the iPhone to setup call forwarding (see instructions here).  If for some reason it does not work via the iPhone app, perform the call forwarding via the website here: https://www.optus.com.au/my-account

Please let us know how you go!

Mcgel

Post a Reply
iPhone X now available to order

Stock will be limited.Read More

Top Contributors
27 Kudos
22 Kudos
17 Kudos
11 Kudos
7 Kudos