Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Raeza12
New Contributor
New Contributor

Bundle Scam

Anyone else get lied to from the sales team to get you to purchase the $480 accessory bundle?

I went to Optus at Cannington Carousel WA store and the sales assistant told me I needed to purchase a charger for my new iPhone12 pro as Apple no longer provide them. I asked the sales assistant twice if my old charger would work and she said “No” she also said in additional that it would “drain the battery if I tried to use it”. These were outright lies to scam me into purchasing the bundle.

When I went back to the store and asked the manager to refund my bundle as I was tricked and deceived into purchasing it, he said “you signed a contract, I won’t refund it.”

I wanted to return the unused items which I do not need, any advice? Thank you in advance.
14 Replies
Kyri_YC

Re: Bundle Scam

Hey there @Raeza12. It's not great to hear about the troubles you have had with one of our retail stores and the new contract that you have signed.

If possible, are you able to let us know if you have had a chat with any of our other support teams about this situation at stake? 

If not, I would recommend getting in touch with our team over on Social Media on either Facebook or Twitter, as they will be able to assist with this matter in further detail with you.    

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Raeza12
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have contacted Optus and so far they are unable to help me. 

Thank you, I will join the social media groups and I'll also contact Department of Consumer Protection as I don't want others to be lied to like I have been.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The accessories bundle has long been used by some Optus staff in a deceitful way. The main 'scam' is usually to offer a bunch of accessories as an inducement to buy the phone. The customer assumes that these are free bonuses and often don't check the paperwork they sign that shows the bundle as a 24 month plan costing $20 a month.

Consumer law requires a seller not to mislead the buyer. Its not just about the contract but about how you were convinced to sign the contract. The seller could have just said "I don't know" to your questions (its up to you to answer those yourself) but in providing definite answers they have actively mislead you into making an unnecessary a purchase.

As expressly shown here, falsely suggesting additional goods or services must be bought is illegal:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/advertising-promotions/false-or-misleading-claims

Perhaps print that out, highlight the relevant part and see what the store says. Be calm. Let them know you will be making a claim if they don't recredit / remove the fee. You are also entitled to return the accessories without boxes and used if they require that.

As a second process, I would not bother with the department but lodge a claim with the TIO. These guys have the power to order a refund and will investigate for you. It will take a few months but you don't have to do anything after the initial complaint.

https://www.tio.com.au/

Note the TIO is just a regulator and are not enforcing the Statutory Rights I listed above. These are two separate an independent routes for redress.
Kyri_YC

No worries @Raeza12.

If you can reach out to our team on Social Media, they will be able to assist you with this concerns further form there 🙂 - Kyri 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Raeza12
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your help Peter.

I have been into the store and calmly spoke to the store manager about how signing the contract with misleading information is unethical. He just kept repeating “I don’t want to get into this right now” and just palmed me off to make a complaint with Optus. I did say I would be contacting consumer protection and he just said, “you signed a contract and we have cameras to prove you were shown the details of the contract.”

Thanks for the contacts, I’ll be lodging claims with both of them. It really bothers me that the sales person and the manager advocate outright lying to consumers to make them spend money on items that they don’t need. It also has a greater impact on the environment, Apple are trying to reduce their carbon imprint these Optus sales people are actively undoing that!

It really makes me sad that I can’t trust other humans to be ethical and honest.
Raeza12
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you Kyri
Jessicaks
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I also experienced this today when going in store at Innaloo WA to purchase a new iPhone 12.

I went in with the intention of buying the phone. I’m already an Optus customer but just wanted to upgrade my phone. The girl asks me to sit down and starts looking at an enormous spreadsheet of numbers. She starts tapping numbers into a calculator and writes in a back of a piece of paper that for X dollars a month I will get the phone, wireless charger, earphones, wireless speaker, phone case and screen protector. I was like oh I just want the phone, can I buy it out right? No, apparently you cannot - it needs to be on a plan.

I just wanted to know how much the phone was going to cost - but I kept getting given all these monthly dollar amounts. Slowly we stripped off all the accessories (but it took work - I felt like I had to justify why I didn’t want each item). Finally, we got to the wireless charger. She said Apple no longer gives you chargers. I asked if it came with a cable to which she said yes, USB-C. I have 3 of these at home, can’t I just use them? Here’s where she said “it’s best you don’t. It will ruin your battery life and plugging in your phone can damage it.” I found this very strange. In the end I asked how much it was - $100! I had already purchased a case with a finger loop holder on the back, and so it wouldn’t charge wirelessly anyway. She suggested I take my phone out of its case every time I charge it... anyway, I made her take this off the bill too.

In the end, I signed up for a new contract that is rubbish compared to my previous contract (previously I had 25 GB of data for $30 pm, now I have 10 GB for $39 a month). I’m so annoyed. I went in to upgrade my phone but now I feel like I’ve got a bad deal on the plan. I really feel like all this upselling is designed to bamboozle you and wear down your defences until you just want to get out of there...

I feel bad writing this because the sales assistant was lovely, but she made so many mistakes (nearly sold me an iPhone Pro, contract was for 36 months not 24 so we had to go back and fix it). It was an ordeal.

I’ve never purchased a phone in store before - I always do it online or over the phone. I’ll never buy in store again. I felt like I had to fight just to walk out with what I actually wanted and not the whole shop. I’m grateful I wasn’t directly lied to like so many people on this forum have been, but I do feel mislead. A very frustrating and disheartening experience.
Jessicaks
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I also would like to add that at one point the system went down and I was asked to sign a blank Manual Contract Signup form in three places. I felt really uneasy doing this - signing a blank form seems incredibly dodgy to me - but there was a deal on the iPhone ending today, I didn’t want to miss out on it.

Luckily the system came back online, but I’m really quite surprised and feeling uneasy about this.
Casey_YC

Thank you for passing on this feedback on your in store experience, @Jessicaks.

We don't wish to be misleading customers and it does appear in this case that you were provided pricing showing the accessories were included in the pricing being provided. 

In saying that, I thank you for passing this on, as I will flag your post as feedback for that retail team to review going forward. 

It's important our customers leave feeling positive about their experience and I apologise that this wasn't the case for you this time around. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible. 

Top Contributors