Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Browsing data usage inexplicably high

I am researching my high monthly data usage. On one particular day I had 2.7Gb attributed to browsing ( on my MyOptus app). I looked at my iHone Safari history and only visited bom.gov.au (bureau of meteorology) 4 times plus one google search on ‘weather’. There are no videos on those sites. How could my data be so high? Could there be other iPhone apps that get classed as ‘browsing”?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Browsing data usage inexplicably high

Could there be other iPhone apps that get classed as ‘browsing”?

From a technical standpoint I'm struggling to understand how Optus can give any reliable breakdown of usage at all. I've seen a few post in the past of people struggling to make sense of the usage breakdown that the Optus app provides, so I find those breakdowns useless at best and misleading at worst. 

Because almost everything these days goes over HTTPS which is a secure protocol, Optus can't actually look inside the data being used by you to determine the classification. They generally only have two bits of info they can use 1] The domain name (i.e. site name), or 2] port number (basically the specific pipe the data should travel through).

So any combination of domain & port number can be used to "guess" at what type of data is being sent, but its far from accurate.

For example, HTTPS browsing will use port 443 so anything that uses port 443 might be "logically" classifiable as browsing, but youtube (as far as I can tell) also send its videos through 443, not just its web pages, so anything from the youtube.com domain will largely be videos. So which guess does Optus use? Who knows.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

BOM radar or BOM satellite updates could be the reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sorry about the late reply - I had to wait for my new month's quota before experimenting with my Netflix + hotspot. Yes, you are right. Using  Netflix on my smart TV hot-spotted to my Optus mobile phone does go through as un-metered.  I also  think I have found the answer to my excess data usage. My computer is also normally hot-spotted to my phone, and although i had my phone set to avoid any software updates when it was using mobile data, my computer (MacBook) does not seem to know that a hot-spot is not broadband and so was auto-updating during the night. I have since turned off auto-update on my computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@ChrisG777 wrote:

my computer (MacBook) does not seem to know that a hot-spot is not broadband and so was auto-updating during the night.

That is normal behaviour.

Generally speaking, only the device that established the internet connection knows what type of connection that is (i.e. mobile or fixed line).  Every other device that connects to it has to assume that its just a standard network connection.

0 Kudos