Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Breach of privacy and contract, misuse of personal information, need I go on?

I have had a pre paid number since 2016. It was in my partners name until 9.5.2018 when we called and transferred into my name. I then processed an online application in my name and details to port to post paid plus new phone. Two days later I received an email and sms from Optus temp ref #. I called, verified my details, they did credit check and advised phone would be here next week. Several hours later the tracking number they gave me was not working. I did online chat, verified my details and was given the letter at the end of the tracking number.  On 14.5.2018 it showed online as delivery but did not arrive. On online chat that night they refused to give me any information saying my DOB did not match. Eventually they told me I needed to take my ID to an Optus store to verify who I am as my DOB does not match, but as they used my licence number to verify, advised me the phone would be delivered the next day. The next day I received an email from Optus saying my order was cancelled. I called and was advised it was not cancelled and would be delivered. I was also advised my personal details in the temporary order number were correct but the final order were not. They gave me a StarTrack number. This was en route to be delivered then delivery failed. I called StarTrack who advised Optus had cancelled the order. I went to Optus Eastland the same day (15.5.2018) where we discovered that without my consent or request, my phone number, address, email address and personal details were now on a complete stranger's account (who has a similar name) but different licence number, address, DOB.  Ashleigh at Optus Eastland was trying to rectify this but as the delivery was pending she could not move the number until it was cancelled and this would take 48 hours. On 16.5.2018 I had one missed call from Optus, and a follow up call from Ashleigh to ask me to answer when they called back as they needed to raise a 'case'. She asked me to email if I had no further call by 1pm. I did this. I have now (17.5.2018) had no further contact from Optus despite another email to the Eastland store. I am incredibly stressed and distressed at this privacy breach, and the fact a complete stranger could cancel my phone number at any time due to no fault of my own and Optus error. She can also access all of my personal details if she calls up Optus and use these for whatever she likes...idenfity theft anyone?

I require contact immediately. My next step is to contact both the Telecommunications Ombudsman and Office of Australian Information Commissioner. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Breach of privacy and contract, misuse of personal information, need I go on?

Does appear to be a shamozzle.

Behind the scenes things are likely not so Machiavellian.

It does seem that that at some point human error has seen the details you supplied entered under the wrong account. After that its little surprise that things just kept cascading incorrectly. Either the system or the other person who possibly got a "You're phone is coming tomorrow" email presumably cancelled the order.

FWIW Its unlikely the person is even aware that some details have changed on her account and even less that they'll suddenly turn out to be criminals. Prepaid accounts retain their phone number for six months after they are not recharged so its probable you will get the number back shortly.

I do agree that Optus is sorely lacking a one stop process where major issues like this are assigned to a person empowered to fix it and who is responsible for the entire process from outset to resolution. There really should be a small department that CS and store staff can contact to hand off the more pressing issues that might require access to multiple systems.

That said, the mods here are pretty good at resolving the back end issues. So I'll flag two and you can contact them if they reply.

@Dan_C @Toomey

NB Store staff  are not really Optus staff. They are sales people and have no direct access to billing or other things (they ring a support number just like you)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Breach of privacy and contract, misuse of personal information, need I go on?

Thanks Peter,

That is useful to know about pre paid numbers.

I finally got onto the shop who advised it is with the CRG team and to call 133937 if I want an update. Because I have no CRG reference number they will not put me through at that number to CRG.  They also suggested they cannot help me because it is not my account.  Now I am on hold....

8 days and over 10 hours on the phone or online chat to Optus to get a new handset and onto post paid. So far all I have achieved is getting my phone number given to someone else. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@Hinton, you're more than welcome to send either myself or @Toomey a PM.

You'll need to fill out the template below send it through as a private message.

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N

Your full name:

DOB:

Mobile number or order number: 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan or http://yesopt.us/pmtoomey

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the response

I finally have a CRG number and have been advised this should be fixed in 3 business days.

If it is not I will PM you.

Cheers

0 Kudos