cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor HanL
New Contributor

Bought screen protector from Optus Carousel WA - Store refuse to honor replacement

Hi Optus and crowd,

I need to ask to find out what sort of option or solution I have inorder to pursue this issue further.

My phone ordered an Iphone XS max under her phone plan. The lady from the retail store ask her to buy the screen protector and advise that all this will be in the system in their store, if anything happen to the screen protector, cracked or anything, bring into the store and they will replace immediately.

a month later, my wife walk into the store to change the screen protector. First the staff on site refuse to ask ask her to claim it online. Then after my wife insist that wasn't the agreement, they ask us to show proof of purchase. My partner advise them again that your staff mentioned that everything is in your system and the staff onsite deny and say that they never record screen protector purchase in their system.

So now the question is, is Optus store retail staff lying? or is the optus store retail staff refuse to honor the warranty and trying to push the responsibility away?

Will Optus take any action? or should I go to the ombudsman?

thanks everyone

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Bought screen protector from Optus Carousel WA - Store refuse to honor replacement

Just to be clear we're talking about the screen protector here, not the iPhone screen?

The good news is that legally Optus is required to replace the screen protector. Representations made at the point of sale are binding. The bad news is that without some sort of proof you've really got very little to back up your claim. If Optus say it never happened then the ombudsman can't / won't do much more for you. Otherwise we could all just make up that someone said whatever we want). Added to this is the small price of the item (less than $50?) and its probably not worth your energy and anger. File it away as something a company has done and use that to decide if you want to make future deals with Optus.

Generally speaking consumer protections (which cover every purchase) mean you are protected against the screen protector being faulty. However also generally speaking these protections don't cover accidental damage. Almost no store anywhere will cover damage you cause to something. I'm a bit surprised it was offered and wonder if perhaps there was a miscommunication?

Next time you do get extra representations from a sales person about returns etc. then get a copy of what is in there system or get them to write and sign and date it on the reciept (or send an email etc.) Unfortunately even that may not be enough to protect you but it might give a dodgy salesperson pause before they comit their name to something they may not be 100% sure is true.

Others may have different / better advise on possible options. Good Luck Though

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Bought screen protector from Optus Carousel WA - Store refuse to honor replacement

Good afternoon @HanL,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. It sounds like there's been a bit of confusion. I've had a chat with a colleague and he's under the impression that you may have purchased a Zagg Screen protector? 

If so, you'll need to claim your warranty via the Zagg Warranty replacement tool. It's intended to make it much simpler to claim your warranty 

Our retail staff should not be offering upfront replacements for this type of product in store. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor HanL
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

I appreciate your reply. 

And yes i agree, if it is a service that is not supposed to be offered, the staff should not offer it in order to get us to buy it.

But if they have mentioned it, a deal is a deal, honor your offer and deal instead of pushing things away and trying to put the blame back on to us as consumer. 

$40 a screen protector isn't cheap, maybe it is a small amount for some but for the same amount of money, we probably can purchase 20 of them online. We purchase it trusting Optus and your team that you will do the right thing. But it seems like we are a small consumer are getting pushed out the door for asking for what have been offered in the first place.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Completely get that @HanL

If it's something that we've offered, then yes it should be honoured. 

I'm not sure why they'd have offered an in-store replacement, when the online warranty replacement exists (to make things easier for the store as well as the manufacture of the product). 

If you like, I can send an email to the store and let them know that you've come through to here. I'm not sure what they'll be able to offer, but it's something I'm happy to do for you. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor HanL
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately we saw this message too late.

My partner was waiting on site to try to sort things out but at the end of the day, she was not getting the service right.

One staff was twisting his word from what he initally said. Initially, my partner ask if Optus have a record in the system, they say they only have record of the phone purchase. My partner told her that this was purchase together with the phone and he said they only have record on the phone not the screen protector and if we can proof that we purchase here then he will change that for us then walked away. My partner then stayed in the store and look for proof of transaction over the phone for about 20 minutes and when she found it and show to him. He went to get his manager over and tell his manager that he have told my partner that he was helping her to look for the receipt in the system for the screen protector (which is an absolute lie). 

and the manager then told her to go online to launch the claim and they can't do anything on site.

Going through 2 staff, which didnt not honor their words and a manager who isn't really helpful in honoring what was agreed by his staff is not really helping. 

I have been with optus for 7-8 years now with mobile plan for my whole family, broadband and etc and it is really really disappointing to receive this kind of service. Optus Maddington WA was providing a much much better service than this.

I hope you guys can take this issue seriously and even though is just $40 which is a small amount for Optus, for a long term customer having such a bad experience and feeling that we are the bad guy here, is really disappointing. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@HanL,

I don't think Optus is directly involved in your issue. You seem to have misunderstood what was being offered. This isn't a reflection on you as "waranties" like the one you have been offered are essentially rubbish and designed to confuse. 

The sales staff was presumably refering to the ZAGG "Warranty". Note that all warranties are voluntary offerings by companies that are (hopefully) above and beyond your basic consumer rights in Australia. FWIW breaking a screen protector is not covered by your basic consumer rights. So that leaves the "warranty". 

Here staff have refered to the manufacturer waranty. Unfortunately on a cursory read its offers little of substance beyond providing  a 30 day no questions asked return policy (which you aren't claiming). For damage to the screen the policy reads: 

ZAGG warrants these products against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR or TWO (2) YEARS, as applicable, from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user consumer. This warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear, damages caused by operating the product outside its intended use, or loss. 

Which is exactly what your basic (inalienable) Australian consumer rights offer (except without the time limits). Again, breaking your screen is not covered. FWIW it sounds like you dropped your phone? and the screen protector broke? and the phone didn't? 

Money well spent IMO

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors