Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Both Landline and Mobile being cut off at the 30 minute mark of a call.

Every time I am on a call that last 30 minutes on the mobile or landline I am being cut off. Why would this be?  Both are with Optus. Is it a common problem?

24 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Both Landline and Mobile being cut off at the 30 minute mark of a call.

Very uncommon. These are two completely seperate services and equipment. Is your mobile post paid? Does it cut off when out and about or just at home? Is your internet 4g broadband?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

As Peter mentioned, very uncommon. That being said another customer last week reported this as well happening with their iPhone which was the first time I've ever heard of the issue.

What phone do you have, MrsBuckley5?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello Peter.

Phone is post paid.  I am never usually on it for that long when out;  a few minutes at most.

I am unsure about the 4G question. Can I run a ;ittle program that would tell me?  I do know that the line is at the kerb and from my understanding it comes to the house and is joined to the wiring that was already in the wall. Would I have that right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello Ray.

I have a Samsung Note 9.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

4G broadband just means from the towers. You seem to have a physical land based connection. Next time you are in a different suburb try make a 30 minute call (just don't hang up) and see if you get cut off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello Peter,

Today, while in the car, I tried mobile to mobile and at 34 mins 30 secs I disconnected the call.

I then tried mobile to landline (in Whittlesea) and at 29 mins and 50 secs the mobile disconnected.  Sometimes this disconnection time is 30 mins and 10 - 15 secs.

I have rung my cousin in Violet Town and was able to stay online on the landline to her landline for 38mins before I disconnected.

I have also rung a friend in Briar Hill (landline to landline) and we are currently at 35 mins.

Regards,

Robyn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok. So some variability but definitely something going on. Seems your landline is going ok?

At this stage I'd suggest you rule out the mobile phone. Can you put your SIM in someone else's phone? An old one?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That might take a week or so because most of my friends who have phone plans hand their old phones back in when they get their new phones.

Could it be a setting in my phone that limits the call length - me not being so technical?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its possible but I'm not really sure what setting it would be. Possibly "parental protections"?

You could Factory Reset you phone and clear out any such settings.

But when I said a friend's phone I meant there current one. You can put your sim in their phone and boot up and see if the calls last 30 minutes. You can put their sim in your phone and boot up and do the same. Its just testing. Swap sims and you call them and wait 40 minutes. Then they call you and wait 40 minutes. The results will tell you something.
0 Kudos