Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
WorriedMum
New Contributor
New Contributor

Blocking Calls

My 14 year old is geeting calls from someone who has a bad influence on her. I was wondering if we could block this number at an account level - we have 4 phones on the account. She would never agree to block this person on her phone, but we want them off!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Blocking Calls

I think you're going to have to find another way to handle the situation. 

You can't block calls on that level. Even if your daughter wanted to block the calls it would be fairly useless on her phone itself. The caller just has to buy a $2 prepaid SIM with another number or set their number to PRIVATE or drop 50c in a pay phone.

It sounds like these two are going to be in contact if they want to be (in practice these days its essentially impossible to stop communication as there are so many options)

I'm no lawyer but you could concider a restraining order on the person (which would make it illegal for them to contact your daughter but I'm not sure 'bad influence' is enough to mandate that.

Frustrating as it is, this might be an area you are going to have to accept you have little control (attempts to force compliance are likely easily got around in secret). You might need to negotiate some boundaries (as best you can) around the contact while making it clear you do not approve. Phone contact ok but you must be informed of if they intend to meet? etc.

If she is acting in secret then if the 'bad influence' starts to worry her she will not be able to talk to you about it. However if she knows you know and are available to talk then perhaps she might share more of what's going on so you can be at least a little involved in the decision making process?

Good luck (technology may have enabled this problem but it isn't going to provide a solution)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
WorriedMum
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply. Hoped there was an easy solution but you are right on all counts!
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi WorriedMum,

Is the mobile number in your name?

The stop unwelcome calls or nuisance calls and messages info page may help/interest you.

It might be a bit of a grey area if the receiver is willingly accepting the calls but I'm thinking if the service is in your name and you provide the data, this may be some kind of solution. 

However as Peter suggests, pretty hard to stop contact altogether these days but the caller/their parents if the service is in their name may get the message if you took action.

Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos