cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor ameliakmt
Occasional Contributor

Billing Has Been Incorrect For Four Months - And Last Month Charged $1K Incorrectly!

I've had to call the customer service and/or online chat about my billing since I started my new plan ini April... terrible mistakes one after another.

I signed up to the $48.75 per month for the Galaxy S7 back in April (Family and Friend's deal, 25% off $65 per month), they charged me $100 per month for the first two months with promises of providing a refud (after calling or online chat), and last month they charged a device payout fee (I have no idea why) of close to $1,000... Was told (online chat) this would absolutely be reversed but this month they did not do that! In summary:

April - Correct Fee = $65, Charged $100

May - Correct Fee =  $48.75, Charged $100

June - Correct Fee =  $48.75, Charged close to $1,000

July - Correct Fee =   $48.75 with refunds of incorreectly charged amounts of the last three months, Chraged $48.75 with NO refund

Is there someone compentent I can talk to based in Australia to resolve this... or is TIO the only way to go

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Billing Has Been Incorrect For Four Months - And Last Month Charged $1K Incorrectly!

I suspect it will all come out in the wash but certainly understand how annoying/scary having a company bill you $1000's in error.

As a precaution, I suggest for future contact with Optus you try get a reference number to any exchange. Ask any customer service person to note down the outcome / followup that was decided in your file.

That said, it seems like you've initially just been put on the wrong contract. Optus Customer service people usually try to be helpful in these cases but sometimes they seem to create their own solution rather than follow procedure (if there is one).

In your case I'd imagine whoever you've taked to has tried to cancel the incorrect contract and set up the correct one. This has been interpretted by the system as you defaulting on your contract and the standard cost of that has been billed. 

FWIW I don't think the TIO is needed just yet, perhaps another call to them today and try confirm if what I've said is correct and if they've applied a credit against your account of $1000 ish and if you are now on the correct plan. Talk to Billing specifically, not just customer service.

Good Luck and let us know how you go.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Billing Has Been Incorrect For Four Months - And Last Month Charged $1K Incorrectly!

Thanks Peter, but I have been speaking to billing for the last 4 months and every bill has ended up being incorrect, I have lost all confidence in them to be able to resolve this. Is there a direct line or alternative number that can be called that you know of?

Below are extracts from my latest bill, which shows they have NOT applied a credit or refund of the $1,000 incorrectly charged last month. When I log into my account it still shows I am requried to pay $48.75 (if they provided a refund/credit wouldn't it show my account is in credit?)

Optus_July_Bill.jpg

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That's not how it read your bill.

Your post seems to show the mistake (Last Bill -994.25) and then Optus fixing it (Adjustments +994.25) => Balance $0.00.

I assume you haven't paid that money? So now you're left with what you owe for the month based on your correct plan which is (Total Amount Due $48.75)

Are you still out of pocket for the first few months of $100?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The $994.2 5 had come out of my credit card as I had direct debit setup, so your interpretation is not correct. No credit or refund has been provided this month.

You can see the 'payment received' on the second box which means this is from my credit card not a refund by Optus.

And still out of pocket for the first months of $100 as they've not adjusted correctly.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ah, The box can be Payment received (You) or Adjustment (Optus). So you've confirmed your credit card has actually been debited? 

On the plus side it seems they have finally started billing you correctly (i.e. $48.75 a month).

On the minus side they've yet to work out the $1100 they owe you.  As I said it sounds like the system has recorded the handset fee (at the risk of assuming I assume you have a handset included in your plan?) as cancelled (as a helpful cust service person tried to fix the initial error) and thus due all at once.

See what another call to optus can get you.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Moderator Casey_

Hey @ameliakmt, can you please send us a PM with your account details and DOB so we can investigate this for you? 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Casey have pm'ed you, please check

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hey @ameliakmt, I've replied back to your PM. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex, I responded this morning can you or a colleague please assist

0 Kudos
Top Contributors