cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Billed for International SMS Charges

Hi,

I've been charged for five international text messages and I am fully certain that I have never sent them since I only use chat apps like Whatsapp. My phone's also not an iPhone so it's definitely not one of those iPhone-related issues.

Can anyone please help me? The staff at Optus said they couldn't even help me with this and I needed to contact customer support. Yet customer support said they could only deal with urgent service matters. This is urgent for me because I'm due to pay the bill in a few days. Cheers.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Billed for International SMS Charges

Check you phone book in your phone.

I finally after 2 months trying got the supposed international SMS number out of them it was my mother in law an Australian number. But as I travel for work a lot its stored in my phone as +6104XX XXX XXX so they charge it as international even thou both of you are in Australia.

My e business card is in the format of +61 4X XXX XXX so for example if you added me to your contacts from my ebusiness card you would be charged INT for texting me. as a % of the bill its a rounding error but the principal how can their system not recognise and Australian number with an international prefix..... Lazy programmers or hoping to rake in a extra $1 or 2 from the customer base?

Anyway change it from +61 4XX XXX XXX to 04XX XXX XXX and the charges will go away :):)

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Top Contributors