Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor JAHarrison
New Contributor

Bill says leased phone but I was told I owned and to ignore

I signed up for a new contract in March 2018- I specifically declined the leased plans. I can’t recall the details (might have involved paying an extra $100 upfront) but sales assistant basically told me that even though my bill would say I was leasing the phone to ignore this as I would own the phone outright after 24 months.

I’m now starting to doubt this and am wondering if the sales assistant just lied to me and signed me up to a leasing plan knowing it wouldn’t become apparent to me for 2 years.

How can I get a copy of the original contract if I have lost the paper copy?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Bill says leased phone but I was told I owned and to ignore

Hi, if you phoned or live chatted then a record of the interaction exists. You can request that.

What do you mean the paper copy of the contract? Optus generally don't provide a copy of specific deals. Just a reference to the base terms and conditions available online. Did you ever get a paper copy?

Optus no longer sells lease plans (They were essentially sold in misleading ways to many customers). At this stage you should be able to just exit the leasing arrangement without penalty. Just keep insisting you we're told you would own the phone when you signed up. I'm not really sure if you'll manage to get them to give you the phone but you should be able to walk away without penalty.

Leasing is a really dark legal blot for Optus so if you just stick to your guns they should back down.
0 Kudos
New Contributor JAHarrison
New Contributor

Re: Bill says leased phone but I was told I owned and to ignore

Thanks for your reply @petergdownload 

I signed up in store so thats why I'm referring to a paper contract.

I've made an enquiry to optus and am waiting to hear back. I'm still holding out hope that I will own the phone at the end of the contract.

I'll be upset if I was decieved as I consider myself reasonably financially literate and clearly remember checking with the staff member as in my mind saving $10 per month to not own a phone at the end of 2 years didn't make sense to me given I'm not worried about having the newest phone models.

I can imagine if there were incentives for staff they might just sign you up to a lease plan knowing they would likely be long gone by the time the contract ended and a customer realised.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors