Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
choe
New Contributor
New Contributor

Bill Overdue

Hello Optus.

I received an e-mail asking me to pay, but I don't know what is going on, so I answer.

When i first signed with Optus, we said one year. And one of worker in the Optus store said that all we have to do is using it for a year. Our plan was postpaid, so we only had to remember that if we don't use it, we don't have to pay after using a year. I came to Korea almost a year ago and removed all phone apps related to Optus because I thought I’m not gonna live in Aus anymore.

And when I signed the Optus, I said that I would leave the country after 1 year of use, and I didn't even know if I would continue to be charged for anything after coming to Korea. It's very embarrassing.

After i had received the e-mail, I tried to cancel the contract by entering the homepage, but it didn't work. Tell me how to cancel, and give me a reasonable reason to pay. I haven't used it for almost a year, and I don't know why I have to pay $420 for a different reason with what we compromised before.

I just want to make sure that we’ve never used Optus after Feb 2020, and it’s not fair nor right for you to ask me to pay. Again, you guys are saying different what you told me at the first.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tuong_YC

Re: Bill Overdue

Hey @choe, thanks for reaching out. Similar to other utilities, even though you have signed a contract that is only for one year - once this time frame passes, the service will continue per usual unless any adjustments such as cancellations or suspensions are requested. 

If you leave the country and no longer want to use the service, it does not automatically cancel. You will need to notify us to close off the account. 

Once the the contract has completed its term, termination fees and device repayments may no longer be applicable. This information is outlined within your contract as well as Critical Information Summary

To view your service details, you can do so at all times online via your My Account as well as the Optus App. Through these channels as well, you are provided with all your invoices and have access to our 24/7 Messenger Teams. Our Support teams are also available over the phone via our dedicated international number → +61 2 8082 5678

Considering you have mentioned that you have not cancelled your account, the service would have continued per its arrangement. Should you have left charges unaddressed for a prolonged period of time, the service would have been restricted and eventually terminated. The final bill is reflective of your total usage plan charges, account fees, invoices unacknowledged as potentially termination fees.

I would recommend calling our support teams via the number listed above or via our online channels and from there, we will be able to review your charges and provide you with an update

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

All Optus post paid plans never expire until you request it. This is a hard and fast rule so its unlikely an Optus employee suggested it di automatically end, particularly as all they needed to say was that you can call and cancel after one year.

More likely is that the Optus employee was emphasising the post paid contract would last a minimum of one year and that after that you could cancel anytime. There has been a misunderstanding.

I would recommend next time you enter into a financial contract then you read the document (and the CIS summary) that details all the main items (like penalties, contract length, cancelations, etc.)

That said, Optus can confirm you haven't used the account in over a year and should be happy to refund the $420 once you explain you returned overseas and your understanding from the sales person was that the contract will end after 12 months.
choe
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello i'm eun.
Thank you for your reply.
All i want to do is just solving this problem.
According to your reply, i can get refund of my 420 bill, so what i do for that?
Our lateat use of your service was january 2020 because we left aus at that time.
We had working holiday visa that laat for juat a year. We arrived at australia 24 feb 2019, so visa ended on 23 feb 2020.
If you need some data to prove, i willing to submit. I need your help, thank you again.

Please reply me as my email.
Thank you very much 🙂
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Eun,

I can't reply via your email. First up note that there's no need for embarrassment. You've done nothing wrong and in Australia this is just an accounting issue that needs to be fixed. Just communicate with Optus politely and directly and they should sort it out.

1) Contact Optus (probably easiest on Facebook or Twitter?)
2) Tell them you were told your account would expire after one year and it hasn't
3) Tell them you returned home and haven't used the account since.
4) Optus can check the account for data usage after you left and confirm themselves it was not used.
5) Request a refund of any plan fees paid after you stopped using the account

Optus should do this. If not then the next step is to make a complaint with the TIO which is an office that regulates the industry. They will step in on your behalf. But first lets see what Optus says when you talk to them.
0 Kudos
Sarah_YC

Hi @choe,

Thanks for sharing further details around your enquiry.

We can certainly assist with your concern, however, we're unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.

Hence, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.
If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then send a Private Message to Optus on Facebook or a Direct Message on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.