Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Beware Google Phones

Google's encryption algorithms may well render your phone useless. Despite numerous suggested fixes you may need to frisby the phone. The "start android enter password" nightmare is a common occurance. Optus will be unable to help ( not their fault) & Google support is non existent. Nexus 6p: Tried every fix, inclusive full factory reset, only for the problem to persist. Eg. Phone works till you turn it off/ restart & the problem returns.
For whatever reason, once the algorithm kicks in your phone is targeted henceforth.
On a more positive note, Optus has improved over recent times. Far better than Vodafone & unlike Telstra you don't need to take out a 2nd mortgage.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Beware Google Phones

This would count as a major fault under Australian Consumer Laws. If Optus sold you the phone then they are responsible for refunding or replacing it (your choice). Google can be a little more difficult (unless you bought the phone from the Google Store in which case my experience is they are excellent).

But thanks for the heads up on the issue. Something to factor in I suppose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So someone who purchased a handset from Optus could DELIBERATELY break the software, claim it was defective and get a replacement?

Sounds like a cheap way to get a cracked screen fixed.

(Not saying this post is about a deliberate act as I know of phones that "go crazy" and do this sort of things after receiving an update, thus the phone is a paperweight, phone manufacturer pulls the update to fix issue etc).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I note with interest my response is not here. Regardless, incidentally, I neglected to offer a description of an experience that best be described as bizarre.
So you get the "start android enter password". Off course there is no such password. Anyway, enter 3 digits or less you get password incorrect. 4 or more & you get p/w correct but your data has been corrupted, factory reset required. So you lose everything. Ps. The p/w you enter can be anything, numerical even a profanity will do.
You set up the phone again only to have the problem recur virtually on a daily basis.
You can try all the trouble shoot you like, inclusive not restoring from cloud do as to eliminate any rogue app etc. No cigar.
Even more was to follow from our friends at Google. At 1st you could skip connect to mobile ( don't insert sim; why bother when you know the problem will recur), connect to wifi & proceed to complete setup. Now unless you insert an active sim your own wifi network will not appear as available. All surrounding networks will, yours will not. Explain that one.
So don't try & tell me Google is not actively interfering with their Google branded phones.
Like I said, I'll only hold Google to account on this. For what it's worth report to relevant authorities & when health permits pursue further. In any event, the main point of post was to warn others re potential problems. Beyond that people can decide for themselves. By all means, buy a Pixel phone or any Google phone, you may well have no problems. All I've done is recount my experience.

0 Kudos