cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor waseem
Occasional Contributor

Being charged a fee to upgrade my plan

Hi,

I am an existing Optus member and had changed ownership of my number to my brother. I had done this so that we were able to take advantage of the data pooling service offered by Optus when I was to upgrade my Sim plan to a Phone plan. However, I have been messed around so much. From being told there would be no cancellation fee on my plan since I am upgrading to a higher one to going in store and being told there was a $250 fee to upgrade. Ridiculous considering I'm extending a contract to a longer time for more money, but I must pay a fee to give you more money? Logic?

Because I work away from Home and come back once every 2-3 months, and only for a few days at a time the only way for me to get this change would be in store as I would not be home to receive the phone.

Could someone please explain to me why this upgrade fee is nowhere to be found in any paperwork?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Being charged a fee to upgrade my plan

The fee is for the early termination of your existing contract, it's stipulated in the CIS (Critical Information Summary). Yes, other providers currently do not charge this "when recontracting" to a higher plan. However, Optus old plan suites do charge this fee.

Whilst you mightn't see the logic in it, you agreed to a contract and now you want to break said contract to get more benefits. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey mate, 

Appreciate your reply

However, the issue I have is the misinformation. I do agree that there was a note in terms that cancelling a contract carries a termination fee. However, I did specifically ask them at the change of ownership about being charged a termination fee and informed them about me being home for the weekend and will be getting the new phone to benefit from data pooling to which I was told there would NOT be a termination fee. Simply that I would be under a new contract for 24 months. 

So yes, I agree about there being a fee to cancel a contract, logic and thoughts of how we believe it should/shouldn't be, if I ask the question to an Optus member and am given an answer which I now find out was incorrect - This is why I am more agrieved.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Optus Personnel can be a bit variable in the information they give out. The people in store were probably relaying correct information for one circumstance but perhaps not the one you ended up with. Generally there's no fees associated with just changing ownership.

The issue is you also have changed contracts in this process. optus only allow you to change contracts fee free if its withing the same 'family' of plans. So if you are on the same CIS/Plan just taking the option for more data then no fee. It seems likely that you have selected a totally different plan family (newer, cheaper per Gb, includes a phone?) so the old plan ended up with a fee.

Legally though representations made at the point of sale do definitely hold, so in theory Optus could now waive the fee or you could cancel the contract altogether. In theory, because it becomes something of a you said, they said problem. Your written contract/CIS also clearly states there will be a fee so that would tend to take precedence here.

BTW You shouldn't have to return to the store to work things out further. In general you'll be better off online in LIVECHAT (24/7). You (and Optus) also save transcripts so you can easily prove what was said. I'll flag a mod who might be able to look into the situation behind the scenes (and what plans and time periods are involved) but I can't say if Optus will waive the fee.

@Dan_C @Ray_YC

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Okay so now reading your post Optus do not appear in my opinion to have given wrong info.

Change of ownership continues the existing contract hence there is no cancellation fee, however upgrading is breaking that, hence the fee applies. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey mate,

It appears you are misunderstanding me. I did not ask them about change of ownership carrying a cancellation fee.

I straight up told them, I will be going into Brisbane for the weekend and will be asking them to upgrade my contract to one which carries a phone and plan, will I be charged a cancellation fee to do this, to which the answer was no. I could not do it online because the phone would not arrive in time.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the help. I have checked the CIS and there is a vague message about a cancellation fee to upgrade, not in the region of $250 but anyway. Didn't pay too much attention to it. I just wish that the information would be consistent. I prefer the phone calls, might be a bit old fashioned.

However, I do have to thank you because I did use the live chat and they told me there would be no cancellation fee.... I asked what on earth is going on and it appears it is because the stores and the online store operate differently and so the terms change slightly (or soemthing?). Didn't understand it completely but anyway. I ordered it online, no cancellation fee and my brother will just post it to me while I'm away. A bit inconvenient and I probably could escalate the issue but anyway, it is what it is.

Thanks for you help mate!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@waseem,

So you have the order as you want now by the sounds of it? Just a bit late?

Only other issue you could run into is Phone deliveries usually have to be picked up with ID by the buyer (i.e. you). If a delivery guy turns up maybe your brother can sign for it but you might find it back at the post office (note post offices generally only store packages for 3 weeks before sending them back as un claimed.). 

That may not be the case but just a heads up. 

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload

I have the order I want in a different fashion, without the cancellation fee

Yes the delivery having to be picked up by the buyer was the issue because the buyer in this case would've been my brother (it is in his name). But he will pick it up and send it to me by post. Basically the issue was the misinformation between online and instore. It seems the online representatives do not fully know the details of the in store rules and vice versa. Needs to be fixed but anyway, something to look at later. 

Thanks so much mate!

Contributor Mr_Windows
Contributor

Did anyone read his post? He was told one thing, and when he went to take it up, told another.

this is called misinformation. 

The contractual policies are irrelevant - because this was not the topic of his post. At no point did he mention to us anything about contractual agreements. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors