Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
scottmac99
Contributor
Contributor

Ballan Vic outage ?

I run my internet (both household and business) off an Optus wingle that talks to the Ballan tower, some 15-20Km distant, over hill and dale.  So far it's performed pretty well, viz 12-18 Mbps download and good latency.

But the last few days it has been unusable, to the point where speedtest can't even get a latency measure and just gives up.

When I go to the Optus outages map, the map doesn't work and I get a message "This page can't load google maps correctly.

So I can't even check whether this is a tower issue or not.

Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ballan Vic outage ?

No issues showing on the network coverage map. 15-20km is a fair stretch do you use an external antenna?

0 Kudos
scottmac99
Contributor
Contributor

The wingle hangs in the bathroom window facing SE, and has worked fine since last year.  It's only in the last couple of days that it has tanked.  And,  yes, I have power-cycled (several times now).  I can only function by tethering my Telstra phone, which is not ideal, but at least it works (and I know for sure that the tower is only a few km distant).

0 Kudos
scottmac99
Contributor
Contributor

btw how did you get the network coverage map to work ?  I get that google maps error on both my phone and on my PC when tethered to the phone.

0 Kudos
scottmac99
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm ... looks like the google maps issue might be a Firefox problem.  The map loads up OK in IE.  But it still doesn't show any towers, whether functioning or not.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That Google map error happens from time to time however its not happening for me today. Try clearing your cache. I understand the coverage has diminished for no apparent reason but given your distance I could only suggest a decent antenna may help restore it. If nothing has changed with the tower or your equipment then possibly something nearby is causing interference or deflection of your signal. 

https://www.optus.com.au/about/network/service-status 

ballan.jpg

0 Kudos
scottmac99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Yeldarb.  I've had to use an external attenna in a previous location, so I'll look into it.  I also know that having Dropbox syncing can knock the connectivity to nothing, but all our Dropbox connections are set on pause.

scottmac99
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to say that I've got my cache set to clear every time I shut down my browser, so that can't be it.
0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That sounds like a plan. I have been in the same boat myself and have reverted to tethering my iPhone taped to a pole on the balcony on many occasions. I can't explain the Google map issue but I have reported it several times. Possibly their API is broken or it just doesn't play well with some browsers.

0 Kudos
scottmac99
Contributor
Contributor

Update ... I think, repeat think I may have fixed this by the simple expedient of moving the wingle to another window 🙂

So whatever had interposed itself and had been interfering with the signal from/to Ballan has now been bypassed.  Plus (this may or may not be an advantage) the wingle now looks between two big metal sheds, and not around one of them.

Fingers, legs, everything crossed.

But it does seem to functioning again, viz this reply has been posted via the wingle's 4G connection.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors