Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Why1212
New Contributor
New Contributor

Bad routing

wotasia3.login.wargaming.net.png

This doesn't look right, how does one go about getting this routing fixed?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Why1212
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Bad routing

Just like to add, there seems to be a few servers located in Sydney with this routing issue and not just the one i posted a trace route of.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi @Why1212, you're only experience high latency issues when attempting to access a particular gaming server/site? If I'm reading the graph that you've posted correctly, it's all fine up until we get to hop 15. At that point there's a Telstra server routing you to a US server. 

It's not something that I'd usually suggest, but do results drastically differ when using a public DNS i.e. Google or Open DNS? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Why1212
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, nothing changes when using a public DNS, as for Telstra routing to a US server it's not meant to as these servers are physically located in a Sydney data center.

The Division and World of Tanks both games i play have servers located in Sydney, when i switch over to my fix wireless connection the routing to these servers are fine. So it's safe to say it's a Optus issue, but trying to get Optus to look at it and understand it is hard. ( I don't use my Fixed Wireless connection for gaming due to it's poor performance, while a 4G Optus gives me stable pings and better speeds etc than my fixed wireless )

0 Kudos
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @Why1212, it's possible they're using load balancing when the Sydney servers are too busy because the routing shows the data is bouncing around between Telstra servers from hops 10-14 before routing offshore. The last two hops are in Japan and finally Luxembourg - this is where the bulk of the spike in latency is happening.

0 Kudos