cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Automatic extra data

This is absolutely ridiculous. I have been charged $80 so far in extra GB's with 10 days remaining in my billing cycle. Not once have i gone even 2GB over my plan in the 4 years I have had it. I am not doing anything differently than any other month. I've had mobile data turned off for almost everything. So far every person i have spoken to has told me to just turn my mobile data off for everything. I'm sorry but that's not possible. I have a daughter and I attend university. I need my mobile incase I need to be conracted. I can not afford this extra crap and I'm expecting it to continue to rise over the next ten days. What can be done about this as they do not give a hoot about how expensive this is getting and its clearly not all my fault. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Automatic extra data

Optus won't to allow a users set a limit on downloads. Its policy is designed to turn a $40 plan into a $50 plan as often as possible and occassionally they hit the jackpot and it becomes a $120 plan like yours. 

Unfortunately these days its quite possible to accidentally download another 8Gb. 

First thinig is to look at the Optus app and in your phone settings to see where this extra data is being used. Youtube? Netflix? etc. 

What phone do you have? Have you recieved the SMS at 85% and 100% and every top up usage?

Obviously you haven't set warnings or limits on mobile data on the phone? 

I would definitely turn off mobile data until you figure out what is going on. Otherwise you seem likely to be up for another $80 before the month is out

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Well actually I do have warnings, thank you. I also keep an eye on the usage via the Optus app. Hence why in the four + years, I have not gone over by more than 2gb. I have an iPhone 7plus.  My mobile data is off for everything apart from messages, phone, safari, Optus app and banking. I do not sit on my phone like an obsessed teenager.

It is just not an option to merely 'turn mobile data off'. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue where I apparently used 8.6GB mobile data in the space of minutes and Optus tried to tell me that it was my iPhone apps using data in the background.  Don't expect any assistance from Optus...

It can be hard to pinpoint what is using it, but the usage app (when it works) is useful.

Unfortunately, without knowing what is using the data you don't have much choice than to turn off mobile data (and rely on wi-fi where available) or continue paying while you work it out, or until your quota resets.  Painful I know...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Just trying to help figure out what's happening. 

AFAIK you can't set warnings or data limits on an iPhone? Do you have an app to do this? 

I can only say that Optus will bill you the $80 you've already incurred and they will bill you any further installments you use. Turning mobile data off may not be an option, just be aware that you will likely get a $200 (or more) bill next month - Optus will top you up until $1500 before cutting you off.

Note that turning mobile data off does not stop phone calls or SMS messages. 

If you could answer the other queries from above then we might be able to figure out what is going on.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hello @Kjm1508

I'm sorry to see that you've had trouble getting an answer around this. If you send us a private message confirming your phone number, full name and date of birth, we can take a closer look at your usage history. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

That's ridiculous not being able to opt out from this extra GB. Very poor from optus. Just do like some of us and move to the competitor, you are able to cap over there. We customers are tired of being treated like we are stupid. Hope you lose all your customers with that bs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Will0210,

Here are some handy tips and tools for customers to control their data usage to avoid getting the extra data.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos