cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Savanna
New Contributor

Automatic Data Top Up

I have read numerous complaints by customers on this forum about the automatic top up option. Optus does not give post paid customers the choice to take extra data it is just given to you. After paying more than my contract amount on a couple of occassions for extra data I am fed up. I have two optus accounts, one is for me and one is for my daughter. I have requested multiple times that Optus gives me the option to cut off data once she reaches her 2GB - each time it is the same answer - it cant be done but we will give your request to the back end and hopefully we will be able to offer this in the future.... Optus is too busy making money out of unwanted top ups. Today I requested that I be notified by email when my data is reaching 50% 85% and 100% but was told this cant be done - this is only possible for broadband accounts and not for mobile accounts - I really dont see the difference. We do not always get the usage notification text messages and I feel by having it on email there is proof of when we received this.

I want to take this matter to the ACCC - surely there is something that can be done about this as so many customers are complaining about the same issue. If anyone would like to be part of this complaint to the ACCC can you please email me to savanna.lab73@gmail.com

Its time Optus listens to their customers. I am sure given the choice a lot of customers will still opt to pay the extra $10/1GB because they need the data but for those of us who dont want the option we should have the right to choose it!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Automatic Data Top Up

The $10 is a cabal activity that ACCC can't be bothered with. They are only interested in banking cabals. Telstra will let you block it. Spintel gives data caps by default.

I have sent in emails and got nothing back. A facebook petition might help, but it would be tough getting anyone to notice.

The way to handle this on Optus is to buy more data than you need. If you moved on some of the plans they were offering at the start of the month, this would have been fine.

ACMA

https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Phones/Mobile/Content-and-services/new-alerts-to-stop-the-shock

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Alternatively, some of the prepaid options are very good. Amaysim, OVO, Aldi

New Contributor Savanna
New Contributor

The link you gave clearly states that I should be able to choose how I get my notifications. Optus says I am unable to receive email notifications....

0 Kudos