Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor KramC
New Contributor

“Apparently exceeding data limit”

Hi All,

Just wondering if you have experienced what I have in the last 24 hours prior to my new month starting.

To give you a bit of context, my wife and I share our mobile data of 25GB a month and do not go over at all. We use our data to access the usual apps such as mail, instagram, FB, maps etc etc and from time to time will watch short movie clips etc and use the mobiles as personal hotspots.

On Sunday afternoon the 8th April we received an SMS OptusAlert advising “The shared data on your account has exceeded 25GB. You now have an extra 1GB for $10.00 and will be charged $10 for each extra 1GB you use. usage resets on the 11/04”.

We both reset out mobile data statistics on our iPhones as the Optus app had stopped working about 2 weeks earlier - i.e. did not display daily usage or where usage was being used. Unfortunately this side issue of the app not working is something that seems to be well and truly recurring quite regularly and basically makes the app redundant, but that’s another story.

By Tuesday afternoon we were tracking quite well as didn’t really want to spend any additional money this month on the phones however we both received a second SMS OptusAlert at 15:17PM advising “100% of the extra shared data has been used. You now have an extra 1GB for $10.00.....”. This was a little bit of a shock but we were ok with it. 

We then reset our mobile statistics again. I checked my phone just prior to 7PM and I had used a measly 159MB and my wife not that much either, however at 21:14PM we were shocked to receive a second SMS OptusAlert of the day advising “100% of the extra shared data has been used. You now have an extra 1GB for $10.00.....”. I checked my mobile data statistics and it showed 3.3GB had been used !!!!!!!! which I have no idea as to what it was used for as each app I checked either showed data usage at nothing, in the KB’s or the low MB’s. We then proceeded to receive a further 3 SMS OptusAlerts as mentioned above over the course of the next 60 minutes and we had not touched our phones!!!!!!!

Then to top it off we received a 4th SMS OptusAlert at 23:10PM advising “100% of the extra shared data has been used. You now have an extra 1GB for $10.00.....”. We were both in bed by that stage and had been for about 30 minutes!!!!!

What is going on Optus? Why are we receiving SMS Alerts advising we have used extra data when we haven’t? Why are you wanting to charge us an additional $50 - $60 for 5-6GB of data we know we never used at all!!!!!!!!

We are happy to pay for the additional data as per the SMS Alert we received on Sunday the 8th April as well as the SMS Alert received on Tuesday afternoon at 15:17PM (although we do question this one) but we are really unsure and shocked as to why we received a further 5 SMS Alerts from 21:14PM - that equates to us using 5 GB over the course of 4-5 hours which we know we did not do.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: “Apparently exceeding data limit”

Optus alerts are not necessarily timely. They can be delayed up to three days (or more). Normally though now you should get alerts within the hour or so. Into this uncertainty Optus egregiously provide no way to prevent them selling cheap data at hugely inflated prices (i.e. the auto top up)

Its possible you had already burned through 7Gb of extra data before you got your first SMS warning. The remaining warnings were just catching up.

Its also possible (not likely) your bill will not show these top ups, so wait until you get the bill to confirm they have actually been applied.

If you can get the optus App running (or log onto MyAccount) you should be able to get a broad break down of what application used all that data so fast. The daily data usage breakdown should also tell you when it was consumed (to the day)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

"I checked my mobile data statistics and it showed 3.3GB had been used !!!!!!!!" - So your phone usage meter showed you had used 3.3GB of data? That usage meter works independently of Optus so if it's showing you've used data and Optus also shows you've used data, it's likely you've used data. When I say you I mean your device so I'm not suggesting you sat there watching videos or something but it would suggest something is going on. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor KramC
New Contributor

Thanks Peter and Sam. Finally got the Optus app to work today.

It looks like the 3.3 GB was all yesterday the 10/4 and probably 90% of it due to Apple.com?!!? What is puzzling is that the 30 days preceding yesterday Apple.com was barely using anything. A faint line is showing against each day. I am not sure why it used so much yesterday. I havent updated OS nor done any major upgrading of apps in the last 7 days.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Apple can do various synchronisation to your online cloud repository.

Could have been a glitch or cloud have been a wayward file or folder elsewhere?

Any new personal videos on the phone (maybe by accident)?

Its not an obvious one to track down. Unfortunately Apple also don't believe in monitoring ot limitting data usage so only provive a single counter you have to reset yourself. Android at least provide rolling monthy warnings levels and cut offs. So you can ensure you will never unknowingly use more than XGb of data in a given month.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hey @KramC - thanks for taking the time to write this up, & thanks for your input @petergdownload & @SamSam!
Happy to take a look into exactly what is consuming the data if need be. Can you please private message me with your account details, full name and DOB? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos