Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Adding a phone

Hunsy24

I have been disabled for a long time and rely on my phone for communication with doctors and my relatives overseas. I have just renewed my contract just sim but realising that my phone is old and needs an update. Im happy with my contract l just want to add a new phone and optus wont let me. Why. This is not fair 

Re: Adding a phone

petergdownload

Not sure its unfair. A contract is and agreement and you've just signed one?

FWIW its generally cheaper to buy a phone out right now if you can afford to. particularly if you stay off the bleeding edge and perhaps even go refurbished / second hand? For example I've found these guys very professional on eBay (iPhone7  for $450) or (pehaps a brand new Google Pixel XL for $400?)

Just pop your SIM in the new phone and you're good to go.

You could also ask about any break fees for your new contract although They'll probably be $200 or so and may make starting over not worth it.. 

Peter Gillespie

Hunsy24

Peter you don't knowwhat lve been through with optus so if you don't know  don t comment.  As a customer  for many years l think l deserve alttle respect. 

Highlighted
Solution

Hunsy24

Peter you don't knowwhat lve been through with optus so if you don't know  don t comment.  As a customer  for many years l think l deserve alttle respect. 

[ Edited ]
Ray_YC

Hi there,

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you've recently recontracted to a SIM Only plan but now wish to update your phone? If you're on a new SIM Only plan, check the CIS and you may have the option to pay one off over 12 months.
A SIM Only plan is generally for customers who BYO their own phone or move across after finishing their Phone plan contract.
Check out our phone plans here.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

No one knows what you've been through with Optus (not even Optus). All we can go on is what information you've volunteered to share here. Respectfully, your initial post suggested you shouldn't be held to the contracts you sign and should be able change your mind when it suits you.

All I've done is suggest that Optus have no obligation (legal or moral IMO) to give you special treatment that all its other customers won't get. Additionally I tried to provide several good options where your mistake could be minimised (and even turned into a positive). 

Peter Gillespie

Dan_C

Hmm, it's a tough one.

I tend to agree with @petergdownload. Potentially, you could sign up to a new 24-month plan. 

@Hunsy24
Plan Changes

You cannot change your plan during your contract term with the same or lower montly access fee. If you do a fee may apply.

A while back, there was a clause that related to recontracting from a 12M SIM only - 24 month contract with a handset. 

I find these sorts of enquiries are treated on a case by case basis. A sales agent might be able to lower the cost of your contract termination fee, but you'd need to have this discussion with them. 

The rules may have changed since, but when I was a sales agent - we did have this option.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
73 Kudos
51 Kudos