Searching...

Mobile

Activation - Off to a bad start with Optus

OriginalJay

Hi,

During my transfer to Optus, I hadn't spoken to anyone from Optus for a number of days (my original order was placed on the 8th of March). After placing the order I was called and told Virgin wouldn't release my number due to an incorrect birthdate (this is not the fault of Optus). I contacted virgin to sort out the birthdate error on there records, somebody had made a typo, on their side. I confirmed to Optus that I had submitted the update request. After that, I didn't hear anything for some time, I did not know when my service would be ported or even if it was still going ahead (remember I placed the order 12 days ago).

Today my phone was disconnected at 5PM local time (Western Australia) from my Virgin service.

When I went to activate the Optus sim, I couldn't becasuse the activation department is closed and the customer service said it could take 24 to 48 hours to activate. It may not, but it could.

I've been with Telstra, Virgin and Vodaphone in Australia, and a number of other providers overseas, but never had such a shoddy experience in porting the number accross. Usually it happens during business hours and then you are prepared for some down small down time with some type of rough communication about what is happening .

Some courtesy or communication to give the customer some update about when I might be likely to get disconnected might be useful. When I called customer service they initially suggested I call back tomorrow or they can call me tomorrow when the correct department is open. How about just making sure internally that my service gets activated and not expect me to be the one to chase it up in the morning.

At a basic level I am not happy with the whole process and its really not the first time I've swapped providers, its always been straightforward and totally painfree, but swapping with Optus, I was randomly cut off 12 days after initiating the order at 5pm in the evening and then told I may have to wait 2 days to get activated or at least wait until tomorrow as the activation department is closed.............................

This is 2018 - this is not really acceptable for a major telecoms company - I haven't even been activated yet and I already regret the decision to switch top Optus.

Re: Activation - Off to a bad start with Optus

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

The Optus SIM should have been activated slightly after your phone got cut off. Generally I would expect something bad to happen if the port was interrupted by a wrong birthday. This looks like a double problem. Some ports get lost down a hole. But you know, it may just turn up tomorrow, working.

OriginalJay

Thanks for the response.

The port was not interupted as such.

The birthdate issue was something that occured more than a week ago - it was preventing me from initiating the transfer.

Then, after they corrected it, then Optus was able to start the port, so that shouldn't have impacted in that sense.

I am just venting but it just seems daft that my phone got disconnected outside of the business hours of the team that does the activations. They close at 5:30PM AEST, my phone got disconnected at 8PM AEST.  From what the CR agent said, the reason the port is stalled is because everyone has gone home for the day - so Optus has no staff available to activate my service.

You would expect, and I am sure that I read somwhere during the process, that the port would not occur like outside of those hours and that and they would wait until the next business day to do it - I am sure I had read that somewhere.

10000000000GB

OriginalJay

Thanks thats a good Link, thanks for additional response.

My Virgin service was cut of at 5PM WA time, which is exactly 8PM AEST, the time they closed for the day.

Surely they should have waited until the next day, so I would also have some possible change to activate it again within a reasonable time frame. Where is the common sense, like a latest time for cutting poeple off............did somebody just think "hey, I'll disconnect this guy now and then go home for the day and then I can activate the service in the morning when I come back to work again" -  wild speculation, but looks like possibly that could be the stupidity of the situation

"Activation/Porting normally occurs within 15 minutes to 4 hours, unless you're transferring (porting) your number over from another phone company outside of these times.

• Mon to Fri: 8am - 8pm AEST
  • Saturdays: 10am - 6pm AEST
  • National Public Holidays: Closed (Ports are not processed on these days)

If you request to port your number outside these hours, your service will remain active with your existing provider until the next porting day."

10000000000GB

That's not summer time.

All sorts of things happen during ports.

OriginalJay

Thanks for the responses.

OriginalJay

Im just going to close off by saying that I've ported many times and never had any issues.

Whatever the reasons are - Optus have left me without a phone for an extended period of time and should have taken more care.

I've not experienced this with any of the other providers I've joined/ported with previously.

My initial experience with Optus is just a bad start - it's not like mobile phones are a new technology and switching providers is a rare thing to do - it's normally and easy and smooth process (from my previous providers). Optus is giving me a bad impression - I am alraedy thinking of switching back.

10000000000GB

Strangely you are thinking about switching back to Virgin, which is Optus but using red website.  I used to be with Virgin for broadband, but back then it was slightly different to Optus.

OriginalJay

I understand its the same network, but I've never had any issues with Virgin and porting to them was seemless.

I switched to Optus to take advantage of what I thought was a slightly better deal, but am regretting it at this point.

Optus has left me without a phone overnight - possibly for 2 days and the customer service was not great either when i called them - expecting me to have to be the one to chase them up myself the next day when they open (without access to a phone to do so).

Thanks for the posts - I am going to close this off now.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
71 Kudos
71 Kudos
57 Kudos
44 Kudos