Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Activating SIM overseas

Firstly, I am currently overseas for a while.

I currently have a micro SIM but require a nano SIM. Whilst I realise I can get Optus to mail one out, even if not overseas, I could get a friend to mail it to me from Australia.

My concern is that this replacement SIM will need to be activated; my experience in the past was that this activation had to *initally* occur in Australia and only then could it be used for roaming.

Is this still the case or could I actually activate a new SIM whilst overseas? I won't be back for a while.

The other option is a SIM cutter but this looks hit and miss with the risk of stopping the existing SIM working altogether, therefore requiring a new SIM.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Activating SIM overseas

Not sure Optus will even send the SIM to anyone else but you (you need ID to collect it)

Given the time and complications I very much suggest you just cut the SIM down. Its actually very straight forward (you're essentially just cutting the plastic away from around the edges. Its about 99% 'hit' and 1% 'miss'.

Just get a good template and a sharp pair of scissors.

https://trendblog.net/diy-cutting-a-micro-sim-into-a-nano-sim-card-for-your-new-phone/

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cheers; pretty sure they will mail it out though.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

If anyone has thoughts on the activation question, it would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey spiceymeatball,

I believe only new SIM card activations can be done online (I haven't heard before that you need to be in Australia to do this).

For replacement SIM cards:

• I ordered my replacement SIM online: Once you receive your delivery, you'll need to call us on 133 937 or visit your nearest Optus store with 100 points of ID to activate your SIM card
  • I picked up my replacement SIM in-store: Your replacement SIM card will be activated in-store

If you're really keen on obtaining one I can only suggest seeing if our Social Media team can help you out.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos