Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Access to netflix on PC browser when using phone hotspot

Jimmeh

I understand well that streaming Netflix on a PC browser using hotspot from my phone's 3G/4G will not be data free. However, I would like to stream it this way, even if it uses my data. It seems though, that I can't access the Netflix site anyway while using hotspot. I've tried using both Firefox and Chrome with no luck. The only other website I have had trouble accessing that I've tried is the Virgin Mobile account log-in page (my former carrier). The message that comes up in the browser after several minutes reads (in Firefox): "Secure Connection Failed. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

Has Optus actually blocked access to these sites when using hotspot? Is there a way to access them?

Re: Access to netflix on PC browser when using phone hotspot

Yeldarb

That's odd as I have done the Netflix thing myself with both an Optus and Telstra hotspot. I am wondering if it's the device limit as I believe the cheapest Netflix offer only allows one device or is that one streaming device I am not sure. Do you get an error and can you login to Netflix members on your PC?

Jimmeh

Thanks for your response. My phone wouldn't count as an extra device in this situation would it? I can access Netflix and watch just fine when I switch the connection to my home internet. It seems to literally be only when I use the hotspot connection. Perhaps you and/or others can try to do the same and see if they get the same result as me?

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

The cheap Netflix plan says only one device can stream at a time so maybe it sees the Optus mobile as a second device. I am sure one of the forum gurus will be able to set the record straight or try it out themselves as my Netflix offer has expired.

Jimmeh

Ok, Thanks again. I'm new to Optus and to Yes Crowd. Will these forum gurus reply here to this thread?

Yeldarb

Yes they should or an Optus staff member may see this post and jump in. Its late so you might have to wait till tomorrow for a response. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
73 Kudos
51 Kudos