Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
cinta1996
New Contributor
New Contributor

Abnormal pike of mobile data usage

Hi,

I recently got a barrage of messages saying I've used up my data and it's applied another 1gb for $10. I received 14 of these messages over 3 days. I agree that I went over initially, but I disregarded all the follow-up messages as I assumed it was a bug that had caused multiple of the same message to send. There was no way I went through 14gb of data within that time period. I was only web browsing on my laptop using my personal hotspot from my phone, and I have it password protected so I'm sure nobody else was able to get on it. 

Is there any way I can dispute this? Has anyone had much luck with this sort of thing? The bill is going to be close to $200 and I won't be able to afford it. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Abnormal pike of mobile data usage

@cinta1996Check out the following post so you can stop it occurring next time and read it very carefully to see what plan you are on and if the wording indicates if your bill is valid or not:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Optus-introduces-Endless-Data/m-p/637074#M80550

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @cinta1996, appreciate where you are coming from however we won`t charge for usage that has not gone through the service. Usage alerts are not real time and there may be delays of 4 to 48 hours. It's recommended you do not rely solely on them as it is for guidance only. This means the alerts you have received would be for the usage that was already used before. Please refer to our → usage alert page for more info.

We do offer Endless data option to customers where you can continue to use data slowed to a maximum speed of up to 1.5Mbps. In other words you are not charged the $10 - 1GB top up. Please refer to our → endless data option page for more info.

You need to opt for the endless data option via the Optus app itself by navigating into Service > Extra > Manage Data.

In saying that we understand where you are coming from and can look into the bill for you. However since this is a public forum we can`t access customers account details here. As such your best to contact us via the → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its one of Optus most unfortunate practices. There's been no way to turn off automatic top ups and Optus can send the data "warnings" days after the data has actually been used. Until recently Optus was happy to provide up to 140 top ups before they would (maybe) automatically cut the data.

Most customers don't think about it until they get stung. If you have an Android phone you should be setting local warnings and limits on the phone to prevent this. If its an iPhone then you're out of luck on that.

Either way you should be able to look in the data usage of your phone and confirm if a spike in data did in fact happen. You can also ask Optus exactly when and what used the data. Note they won't discus any data issues until a bill has been issued. Only then can they see and change things.

Its possible to make a complaint to the TIO. That might see Optus cancel the fee. Good Luck.

0 Kudos