Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Iceni
Occasional Contributor

AC800s constantly disconnected

Howdy,

I'm using a AC800S to give us internet while wandering around Aus in a caravan - but it's giving me so much grief i want to hurl it into the desert 😞 

Its constantly switching it's cellular data off, giving the onscreen yellow message of "mobile broadband disconnected" (but without the connect button). However the setting to turn it back on does nothing. Despite playing with it for hours, this can continue for days.  As my location is constantly changing, it is possible that there is simply no signal - however sometimes this happens while online with strong signal.

Initially I thought it was overheating, as it was connected to an antenna and power and in a hot car. However relocating it into the air con caravan hasn't fixed it. If anyonone knows what limits i should watch out for in the "Current temperature" and "Battery temperature" i'll be able to confirm if this is triggering it.

Screenshot_20180207-083740.png  Screenshot_20180207-083500.png

But i'd just like to know the correct steps to get cellular data on ... as the setttings> network> cellular data in the android app doesn't seem to do anything - the switch toggles, but when i exit back to the home screen, the error is still there, and going back to settings it is still off.

Thanks again for any advice 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: AC800s constantly disconnected

Looking at those pictures you have posted is that showing the WiFi has disconnected from the modem?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi yeldarb

Sorry this pictures were meant to sure the temperature info and the cellular data "switch" that I'm having trouble with. I was using a Telstra modem (which my budget can't afford to keep up using) while posting.

Please disregard the phone wifi/3g icons in my screenshots.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I understand however the first thing that came to mind when you said the data on/off button was not working was the device had disconnected from your phone. I also thought the same thing when you said hitting the reconnect button does nothing.

I have both the older 3G and newer 4G WiFi modems and I have never had issues with them cutting out in the heat. The 30 deg battery temp would appear reasonable to me and I'm not ever sure if that device even has thermal protection.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi yeldarb

Thanks again for the response.

Sorry I should have been clearer with the initial post... Those images were taken while everything is working. I'll take more next time it's down.

I have the modem setting "Wifi sleep" disabled so that it stays up for any of the 5 wifi devices that connect to it.

The temperature info I have seen indicating as high as 50° plus for both the "current temperature" and the "battery temperature".

However removing the modem from the parked car disconnects it from the bullbar antenna, significantly reducing range. If it is the case that the modem has a thermal cut out then I'll have to live with it. But I wanted to know if that is the case.

What I can't understand is what is turning the cellular data off... It's one thing to be out of range/signal but I don't want to have to changing a setting to get it back online when there is signal - particularly when changing the setting doesn't change.... I'll switch cellularr data on, go back to main screen and it's still off.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes 50 deg does seem a tad warm. I had a look at the Netgear official site and there is no mention of thermal protection. You may need to fire off an email to thier support department to see if it actually has one.

I have never used an app to monitor the modem status and I am wondering if it's a glitch in the app that is causing the issue with the on/off button. Have you tried going directly to the admin using 192.168.1.1 as maybe it will work through that.

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/mobile-broadband/hotspots/AC800S.aspx

https://kb.netgear.com/23379/How-do-I-log-in-to-my-AirCard-Mobile-Hotspot-s-Web-UI

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I require AC790s for my Bigpond account, so I procure lots of them from ebay. What I have noticed is a high fault rate and a fair bit of heat.  The 4 I have bought, all have an overcharging hardware bug which they could never fix in firmware. The first one I bought decided to fail its internal antenna, so I lent it to the neighbour. A few days after he started using it, the charging port was shonky.  Modem 3 has a problem with charging, where, thankfully, it sits at 39% while working - sometimes. That modem also has a problem with wifi jamming up my laptop, or just crashing out.

Netgear has very good reception and speed, when it works. The next best might be ZTE. The neighbours were using the MF920V in a weird spot on the patio, which a Huawei E5573 couldnt cope with. ZTE and Huawei have much better wifi range. I got my E5573 to go 600m in the bush.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Netgear website has this:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/mobile/AC800S_Optus.pdf

Environmental • Operating temperature: 0 to 35° Celsius • Storage temperature: -10 to 60° Celsius

As it has no active cooling (or even passive via outside heatsink) it does heat up pretty quick.

Perhaps it needs its own USB fan etc?

Although I use mine in weather above 35 degrees here in Brisbane and it has not had an issue.

Though mine currently says: Battery temperature:44°C - its 28 degrees outside at my house.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

Hi again, sorry - I was on the nullabor for a bit.

Thanks Paddylee for digging that up. It would make sense and I will endeavour to keep it cooler that 35degrees.

However, it is causing problems again today (having arrived in Esperance WA) and it has nothing to do with temperature (or at least it's not the only problem).

It simply refuses to connect - giving me the polite message of Cellular Data Off, but when I turn it (cellular data) on, nothing happens. I reboot, nothing happens. Even the screen of the device shows "Mobile Broadband Disconnected" on a big ugly yellow alert - but there's no Connect button like i think there's supposed be.

Why it thinks it's roaming I have no idea. Turning on cellular data should turn on cellular data.... I understand if there's no signal (but that's not what's happening now - see coverage map). 

It's like a bug in this version of firmware or something. But it seems to just be me.

IMG_20180217_155033 sm.jpgScreenshot_20180217-160618.pngScreenshot_20180217-160530.png

Screenshot_20180217-160604.png

Screenshot_20180217-124435.pngScreenshot_20180217-124453.png

Screenshot_20180217-154932.png

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I am inclined to think the device is faulty.

When you go to this page and select the "Network Selection Mode" does it show scanning?

SCANNING_NETWORK_MODE.png

Once it finishes scanning it should return something like this:

SCANNING_NETWORK_MODE_FOUND.png

Select "Yes OPTUS" and see what ahppens - if nothing shows up then its either faulty device and/or sim.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Top Contributors