cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

AC800S battery reliability and how much data needed for a family of 4?

I have recently bought wireless Optus AC800S 4G plus wifi modem replacing my most reliable wired internet. I realised after I connected my devices Two phones and chromecast the data used in 2 hrs is 2.5GB. We did not use internet either to watch video or listen music just we checked emails. I do not dont know long my data will last. The other disadvantage is this modem has no ethernet ports to connect to my security cameras.How reliable is the battery in the modem as it is always connected to the power supply.I wish to know how much data is required for a family of 4 who watch videos on Chromecast TV and use 2 PCs, 2 mobiles?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus made Cancellation very difficult and extremely costly affair

Recetly, I have taken 4G wireless AC800S 500GB. I assumed that would be more than sufficient for normal users who watch 1 movie a day on youtube and use internet for emails and messges on whatsapp. I can't believe in 3 days it took 45GB. How the data is calculated I dont know. If I go for cancellation at this stage I end up paying approximately $250 for the modem plus some unkonwn costs. It is really frustrating and I feel like I am trapped with Optus. My previous service provider was giving me unlimited internet for the similar price with very good speed and when I asked for cancellation he did it immediately. Please suggest how can I come out of the contract. Is there any

easy way to get out of the contract instead of chasing Optus. I mean legal way like contacting consumer affairs.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Data consumed without internet usage

Hi sesu19,

We’ve optimised your post to help users better understand what the topic is about and your question to be answered more clearly by the Yes Crowd community.

Don't own the AC800S so it's tricky to comment on the battery reliability.

The device guide advises to charge it regularly.

With Wireless Broadband there are currently only two plans available, 200GB or 500GB. Are you on the 200GB? Suggestion would be to to see how you go for the first month or two, if you need more, increase your plan to the one with 500GB.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Data consumed without internet usage

FYI I am on 500GB plan. My question is how so much data say 6 GB is consumed just by watching one movie on youtube with medium resolution. Data drains very fast with Optus, I was with other providers before and it didn't happened. Can you please provide statistics of what app consumed so much data unless you are waiting for the customers to run of data and start paying that extra dollar per GB. 200GB or 500GB both are totaly rip off for the customer. Why cant optus provide unlimited data like other providers?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Frequent home broadband dropouts

Very bad network. I am on 500GB 4G plus broadband plan and my internet drops frequently and also disconnects my device like chromecast. Apart from that as I mentioned in previous posts Broadband plans are total rip off as the data is heavily consumed even for some basic stuff. No statistics which app used so much , dashboard simply shows how much data is consumed. If you open the dashboard and see even when you haven't opened any application data will be consumed not sure how it works.

Optus please make your services reliable and trust worthy for the customers. We go for these big brands with trust.

0 Kudos