cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor randomhero24
Occasional Contributor

$99 Trade Up Question

So I pre ordered the iPhone 11 and requested to return my current device and pay $99. 

I was told on the phone that I would need to pay an early contract termination fee of around $400. I don’t understand why though. 

He said it was because the new phone was a new plan and that’s why I had to get this charge.

I didn’t have to do this when returning and upgrading an iPad. 

has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: $99 Trade Up Question

How long have you had you old phone for?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

About 15 months.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That doesn't sound right then. The general $99 upgrade process is after 12 months you hand back your phone and get a new one and sign up for a new 24 month contract (note these are now non lease contracts which means the monthly cost will go up but you get to keep the phone after 24 months).

I suggest you contact Optus again and see what is going on - different service agents can give different answers.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I believe the old device was a lease and that they have now stopped doing those. The old device is also a 24 month contract where as the new one is 36 months. So unless that’s prompted them to tell me I’d be getting the charge I’m not sure. I’ll see if I can get clarification in the next day or two.

I was under the impression the early termination fee was to prevent users from switching providers. Not punishing users who stay with Optus and ask for bigger plans worth more money !

thanks 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

All Optus plans are 24 or 36 months (your choice - they add up to the same total amount over the time period)

The $99 upgrade option is quite clear. You hand back your old phone and sign up for a new 24-36 month contract on the new data plan you want. There are no penalties for doing this. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors