Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Pompey_2019
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

5g Tasmania

Looking at 5g plans, I saw this message "5G Home Internet is rolling out in selected areas. Excludes TAS and NT."

I have three questions i'd appreciate an answer to:

1) Can you let me know why Optus has made the decision to not roll out 5g in Tasmania?

2) And, given that you have explicitly ruled Tasmania out as the only state that won't get 5g, will you explicitly rule Tasmania in as the only state where you will deliver 4k content over your NBN plans?

You have determined that the delivery of your service is different here than in every other state regarding 5g, so there's no reason why it can't also differ regarding 4k.

3) If not, can you confirm that all Tasmanians paying for Optus sport are receiving a lesser service than those paying the same in mainland states?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sarah_YC

Re: 5g Tasmania

Hi @Pompey_2019,

Thanks for your questions.

Firstly, availability of 5G depends on various technical or other reasons that can affect serviceability at a particular location. Having said that, Optus is committed to the continual expansion of our 5G network throughout 2020 and beyond.

With regards to your second and third question, just so you know, 5G is not a requirement to stream 4K content. 

If you want to stream 4K content, you'll need a connection of at least 25 Mbps irrespective of the type of internet connection.

Having said that, Optus Sport does not currently offer 4K and the quality of streams on Optus Sport is consistent across all states. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Pompey_2019
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/5g/5g-news/5g-articles/speed-and-streaming-the-benefits-of-5g-today

"In addition, Optus will launch 4K Ultra HD Live Football content on Optus Sport. This means 5G Home users will have access to selected games from the Euro 2020 tournament, the 2020/21 Champions League and the 2020/21 Premier League in stunning 4K Ultra HD Streaming quality."

This is from the Optus site, and I read that as "select Euro 2020 games will be in 4k but only for 5g users."

Have I misunderstood?

Regarding Tasmania and 5g. Can you outline if there are "technical or other reasons that can affect serviceability" in Tasmania that mean we are not part of the 5g roll out? I'm interested to know why we have not been included even though I assume our subscriptions contribute to the profitability of the company and its ability to invest in capital upgrades.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Pompey_2019I suggest you search yescrowd for "Tasmania" and have a read up on previous Tasmania 5G posts as they went no where from memory.

Optus is a business and makes decisions based on expected profit and/or competition. Unfortunately you will not get a response based on business decisions optus have or will take on yescrowd as it is a support forum. Optus IMHO does not see a profit at the moment in rolloing out 5G in Tasmania compared to rolling 5G out into more populated areas on the mainland. If you check out the 5G maps there are huge gaps in Sydney in dense areas where one tower would cover say 20+ thousand users, but even in these areas Optus will not tell end users when 5G will become available. I am in this situation and have asked and got the standard answer to check the 5G maps from Optus with no details on when they may role it out as the support on yescrowd either have no idea how to look it up or do not have acess to the info or are told not to tell end users about future plans (I think it's a combo of these BTW).

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

We're sorry for all the confusion here, @Pompey_2019, I have taken a closer look at the page and I'm afraid this is an old article posted up on 19 January 2020. Due to a few setbacks, Optus Sport does not offer 4K just yet. In saying that, I have tagged this post to be reviewed by our relevant teams.

In regards to 5G, it could be infrastructure or technologically reasons as to why 5G Internet service is not available in your area. If you would like an agent to do a service qualification check for your area, please chat with our team via the Messenger team. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos