Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

5678 survey offering $1000 VISA Gift Card

I got a text message from 5678. I'm actually a Spintel customer who uses the Optus network. The message is pasted below.

"Hi there, Optus here. As a valued customer we'd like to hear about your Optus experience so we can make it even better. Tell us about your experience and you could win a $1000 VISA gift card. optus.com.au/OCS?em557zppf35zdd6b643nht To opt out: http://optus.com.au/smsmktr"

Is this a scam?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 5678 survey offering $1000 VISA Gift Card

Looks legit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

5678 is legit, we had staff asking if they're eligible to enter (which we're not).

A little odd why you received it though as an Optus resell customer.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A great question RainbowPig,

It certainly looks like spam, smells like spam and quacks like spam.

And yet it is apparently an official communication from a multi national telecommunications corporation.

There's no problems filling out this SMS, but the one that you get tomorrow that looks identical my be spam (or not).

Does Optus have an interest in the online safety of its customers and in promoting awareness of scams and spam and how to avoid them? I'm sure there are web pages around here somewhere talking about how not to click on unsolicited communications, definitely not on embedded links, don't answer surveys with too good to be true prizes, ensuring that the message is personalised (i.e. not Dear Valued Customer).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just also commenting to inform I also received this today and have an investigation setup for this one through live chat (as i went through with it and realised later it was quite suspicious), here is the my version of the text - seems identical:

Hi there, Optus here. As a valued customer we'd like to hear about your Optus experience so we can make it even better. Tell us about your experience and you could win a $1000 VISA gift card. optus.com.au/OCS?ew4s84dbc35zdd6b643nht To opt out: http://optus.com.au/smsmktr

Will confirm the outcome on this thread. If this is confirmed to be real, the Optus messages need to be setup a lot better as these looks quite suss (I saw the 5678 number initally and as it looks quite legit and I wasn't fully paying attention at the time got caught out).

@Ray_YC - sounds like you work at Optus so I'm hoping it's real as you suggest, if you do work for Optus, perhaps pass on the feedback that it has quite a few redlfags (mainly the generic intro. - no mention of the customers name, as well as the survey looking to get Personally Identifiable Information - Full Name, Mobile & Email).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Geead wrote:

here is the my version of the text - seems identical:

The surveys may be the same but they appear to be targeted to specific users.

@Ray_YC - sounds like you work at Optus so I'm hoping it's real as you suggest, if you do work for Optus, perhaps pass on the feedback that it has quite a few redlfags

Ray does work for Optus. Even if he does pass on the feedback to Optus they are unlikely to do anything about it. There are plenty of issues, not just with communications, that they have been made aware of and they don't seem to do much/anything about.

as well as the survey looking to get Personally Identifiable Information - Full Name, Mobile & Email

They seem to be using a 3rd party service to run these surveys and appear to have given zero thought about customer privacy.

Unfortunately many other companies (large and small) do the same.

0 Kudos