cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Milosh
New Contributor

4g wifi modem is slower than phone hotspot?

Hi all,

I have a optus E5573 4g wifi modem, im currently using the $70 month to month sim only plan with 100gb of data.

ive noticed that when connecting this to my computer either via USB or wireless my speeds are around 5-7mb/s download and up to 28mb/s upload, if i use my samsung S8 with the same simcard over hotspot I get 20-30mb/s download and 2-5mb/s upload.

Just wondering if this is normal?  seems very strange to me

ive tried changing the band to 5ghz in the  E5573 settings and messed with a few things but nothing changes, any help would be great thank you.

regards

-Jon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 4g wifi modem is slower than phone hotspot?

Because your E5573 is a Cat4 LTE device and can only connect to a single 4g band at once.

Your S8 is a Cat 16 device and can connect to 3+ 4g bands at once.

This is normal to have the lower specced device operate with slower speeds.

Optus do sell more capable hotspots such as the Netgear 800S which is a Cat 9 device (up to 3 bands at once).

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/netgear-ac800s

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor Milosh
New Contributor

oh ok, thanks for the advice

i had no idea :/

i cant see that modem for sale though only on another plan but ill keep looking for a cat 9 one thank you Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You can purchase the Netgear 800s from an Optus store for $240 (this is what I did)

Although there is no guarantees you will get faster (although if your phone does get the faster speed its pretty much a yes to getting faster speed)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Top Contributors