Searching...

Mobile

4G speed Issue

KceeS

I have been having issues with 4G speed for more than a month now. I have had quite a few chats and so far, haven't been helpful. The 4G speed is around 4MBPS at my home at 3166 while it is more than 150MBPS at work which is only 2kms away. Whats the point of having 20gb data if I can't use it?!!

Looks like a tower issue, but so far been a wild goose chase. First, they told me there is a disruption of service, then they told that they will put in some kind of order on my account and one it is processed, the issue will be resolved. In the next chat, they told me the order is stuck in my account and they will escalate to have it resolved. Finally today, they told me the order was processed (i received an SMS which made little sense) and then there is an upgrade going on with the tower. 

On top of a resolution to this, is there a way to sue this useless company as I have been doing a speed test at home and work on a daily basis? 

Re: 4G speed Issue

petergdownload

What post code are you?

Peter Gillespie

Yeldarb

Have another read Pete. Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Doh! Smiley Embarassed

Peter Gillespie

KceeS

lol, both my home and work in 3166. If I have not locked myself a contract, would've switched service by now Smiley Sad

petergdownload

Optus will generally let you out of a contract if the issue persists. Especially if a known issue in the area exists. You'll have to jump through the diagnostic hurdles which can be tedious but at some point its reasonable (and legally required) for Optus to aknowledge they are not providing the service you are paying for.

That the phone works at work does make it very likely the issue is with the OPtus network around your home area.

Peter Gillespie

KceeS

Yeah, I figured as much, but its a different answer all together every time I chat with these guys. I am gonna have to make time at work to call them and get a proper answer. Thanks for the info. 

Am on a contract with S8 and only and still got 18months left. Plan was to get the S8 for now and trade up when S10 is out... But if this level of service continues, it'll change all that...

Yeldarb

My speeds vary dramatically between 5 - 50Mbps. At this very moment I am getting 1.66Mbps with no noticeable difference in loading speeds. No doubt if I was to fire up BitTorrent or a HD vid on YouTube I would really notice it. Whilst I can appreciate that 5Mbps is nowhere near 150Mbps it should make very little difference unless you are downloading large files.

I had a look at the Network Status page for your area and nothing stands out. Whats the signal like at home compared to work?

speed-test-01-08-18.jpg

petergdownload

Good point @Yeldarb, If you can do what you want on a plan then whether its 5 or 100 doesn't make a difference really.

@KceeS, I would suggest writing an official complaint (snail mail) You get assigned a complaint number (that you can refer to on each contact) and attempts will be made to resolve the issue in 14 days. If not then you are in a good position to ask to be set free. You will need to pay out any handset cost but not the plan amount.

As a suggestion, perhaps grab (borrow?) a cheap prepaid SIM from another company. Plug it in and see if you get a different signal at your home.

Peter Gillespie

KceeS

with 5MBPS, even app updates take a while... I have a good ADSL2+ at home, so its not that essential, but thats no excuse for this issue. I will get an email out. Thanks guys 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
110 Kudos
103 Kudos
84 Kudos
78 Kudos
43 Kudos