Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: 4G signal strength

Hi

Glad it's worked out so far. Would be good if you could update once you've had a few weeks on optus.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>So what I did was buy a $59 wingle with minimal Gb,

A Huawei would never be my first choice for testing speed with no antenna, that's why I said MF 920V. (Target $45)

My neighbour has recently been using antennas for 3G and got a fluke signal with a yagi pointing upwards on a milk crate. But the 3G service went down and he could never get it again, so we had to go 4G. He's using an unlocked MF910 (Telstra) hanging by the kitchen sink. His housemates were using MF920V on the opposing balcony of all places, and that was working. In any position, the E5573 didn't work.  The Netgear 790S was not too good either.

I have a E8372 on antennas, but when I want fast speeds, I get the Netgear 790S and put it on one spot on the venetian blinds attached to laptop by USB. Wifi slows everything down. Test again with USB connection.

>>Will be buying the $80 200Gb month to month plan next week 🙂

Don't wait. The last 2 days of the special are on a weekend.

0 Kudos
Contributor scottmac99
Contributor

Yep.  I heard (and hear) all that 🙂

But the Optus store was a short walk and Target was a longer drive.

It's not just speedtest.  I can stream youtube more than satisfactorily.  I still can't quite believe the Optus connection is this good.  Maybe it isn't, and once the kids get on their games (not my kids, everyone else's) it will fall over.  But it's already 7pm on a weeknight so the prognosis looks good.

0 Kudos
Contributor scottmac99
Contributor

Will do 🙂

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I seem to have this rural tower to myself. I know a few others are using it, but they don't amount to much. The theoretical output of the tower is about 10TB during the 12 hours that sane people use it.

0 Kudos
Contributor scottmac99
Contributor

Still going well.  I'll buy the 200Gb SIM tomorrow (29 Aug 2018).

The only thing that perplexes me is how to find the Gb balance left on the wingle.

I've downloaded and installed the myoptus app on my phone, but it's pretty pointless, doesn't tell me anything, just has links to NBN and status of any order I might have made (which I haven't, can only get skymuster, and those plans are worse than the Optus wingle plans).

Sure, the wingle received an SMS saying I had 500Mb left, but that's too little, too late.

The issue is probably that my phone is on Telstra, albeit accessing broadband via a WIFI connection to the Optus wingle.

As I've already said, I have 60Gb on my Telstra plan, and can use that via a Telstra wingle that performs about as well as the Optus wingle, until I get the 200Gb Optus SIM organised.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

I'm not sure but can you link it to Optus My Account and see the usage there?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor scottmac99
Contributor

Hmmm ... don't think so, if I click on <my account> the website just sends me into a never ending refresh of "Welcome - retrieving your information"

I don't have an Oputs account as such, the wingle was pre-paid so no need.

But when I get the 200Gb SIM they will probably want me to open an account, which I will do.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Try using an in private tab, but as it's prepaid doubt you will find it.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

On prepaid, you go into the modem SMS section and send bal to 9999

You need to create a My Account for the 200GB plan, or you dont see various parts. People get confused because without a My Account, the system takes you to a pseudo account, with your phone number top right. But you have to create an account with your email, and invariably ask chat to move the SIM into it. The store will do it all for you as well.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors