Searching...

Mobile

4G WiFi Modem(50GB) - is this locked to Optus? I want to use it internationally as well.

Blake_ap

Re: 4G WiFi Modem(50GB) - is this locked to Optus? I want to use it internationally as well.

Dan_C

I believe you can use an Optus 4G modem with another provider.

You'll need to ensure that you're using the current providers APN.

@Paddylee, is this something you can confirm? 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: 4G WiFi Modem(50GB) - is this locked to Optus? I want to use it internationally as well.

Paddylee

I think it may be locked to Optus.

https://offer.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid-device/wifi-e5577

Does not say it is though - but with pretty much all prepaid hardware, its locked as that is subsidised.

I think they were selling for $29 with a few gb (not 50gb) at retail level not soo long ago

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Dan_C

Ah, right.

I'll suss out Whirlpool and see if anyone has had any luck using a locked Optus with another provider. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Jeneral__Pain

@Dan_C - Generally speaking you can by changing the APN settings however the key issue is, the device marketed by Optus tends to favor Optus frequencies. So if it's a wholesale provider (Vaya, etc) then it wont be so much of a problem, but using it with say Aldi or Kogan who use different networks, you may not get the same "speed" experience.

As for it being locked, it probably is if it's discounted heavily.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Dan_C

You're right there, especially when it comes to using the device overseas.

Always a good idea to check which bands are used by overseas carriers.

In Australia, the most commonly used 4G bands are the 700MHz/900MHz/1800Mhz/2100MHz/2600Mhz/2300Mhz/ & 850Mhz bands. 

Paddylee

@Dan_C better to use band numbers, not frequencies e.g as 700Mhz used in USA (Band 13) is not the same as Aus (Band 28) at all.

Australian Bands in use

Band 28 - 700Mhz

Band 5 - 850Mhz

Band 8 - 900Mhz

Band 3 - 1800Mhz

Band 1 - 2100Mhz

Band 40 - 2300Mhz

Band 7 - 2600Mhz

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
130 Kudos
125 Kudos
100 Kudos
82 Kudos
56 Kudos