cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

$40 plan and data usage for Spotify and Netwflix

Hi,

I moved my mobile provider to Optus in October 2017 on the $40 sim only 15GB plan. In January I moved my son ($40 - 15GB) and daughter's ($30 - 3GB) phone coverage over as well to mine (to data pool it together all together). My son tells me that the data is being used up by Netflix and Spotify when they are not supposed to be in included in the data costs as they are suposed to be able to stream this entertainment data free?  http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/sim-only - who do I contact to get this sorted out? Thanks Ron 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: $40 plan and data usage for Spotify and Netwflix

If his plan inludes data free streaming and he has activated it then he shouldn't be charged for the data. I assume you don't mean that because one of the phones has this offer that pooling the data would cover all of the phones? As a matter of interest where are you seeing this data usage as the internal data usage meter and the Optus data meter don't know the difference between metered and unmetered content and subsequently show all data going through the device.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply, all of the data from all phones is pooled, but I wasn't expecting his usage to show when he was using netflix.

I guess that is my question. In the Optus App it shows the pooled data being used quickly with the streaming of entertainment counted in the data? Makes its hard to say to them to ease off the usage when that was one of the reasons I went with that plan. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately you need to manually calculate the streamed data and deduct that from your total data usage to get the true amount of data left. It's not a geat system however as I said above the app and the internal data usage program does not know how to separate metered and unmetered content.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@RonRabbit99

In the data breakdown, it shows your total usage, including any eligible data free services that you are not charged for. As long as your Music/Mobile TV streaming is Active, any streamed content on selected apps will be data free. To make sure it's Active, you'll need to go to Service tab from the main screen > Entertainment > Music/Mobile TV Streaming > Activate. If you'd like us to take a look into your account for further clarification, please feel free to reach out to us online via Live Chat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for this - they are available under my Son's account but my plan was obtained in October 2017 and are not included in my plan - the kid's plans have been added to mine - was told in the optus shop that the entertainment and music was free data streaming under the new $40 plan but it looks like the new accounts are counting data for netflix. Will follow up with Live chat to see if someone can look at it for me.  

0 Kudos
Top Contributors