Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
djh1
New Contributor
New Contributor

20% Discount Cold Call

I just received a cold-call from "Optus" telling me I'm a "valued customer" and therefore being offered a 20% discount on my broadband, but I needed to prove who I was before they could apply the discount to my account. They asked for my full name (including spelling middle and last name) and then my date of birth - at which point I started challenging them to prove they were first from Optus before I provided any more personal information.

Both the operator and their "manager" did not seem to understand that I needed them to prove they were from Optus before I was prepared to provide any further personal information.

The phone call came from *****- which (trying to call back) seems to not exist.

I assume this is a scam?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rob_YC

Re: 20% Discount Cold Call

Hey @djh1. That definitely sounds like it could be a scam. Good call challenging them I'd say. 

if you would like us to take a look at that account to ensure everything was OK. Please send us a Private Message on the official Optus Facebook or Twitter.  We can securely verify your details and double check everything is OK. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You definitely should assume it is a scam.

Unfortunately Optus don't engage in industry best practice and routinely cold call existing customers to offer special deals and discounts. For privacy reasons they require your identification details before they can proceed (they have to know you're the owner of the account)

So its quite possibly 'legit' but the fact that Optus continues to encourage customers to hand out personal information to strangers in this day and age is astounding IMO.
djh1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks @petergdownload - I agree... despite challenging them on multiple fronts, neither individual understood my apprehension to providing details without being able to verify they were from Optus...

0 Kudos
djh1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks @Rob_YC  - 

It turns out this was a legitimate call; the Optus Chat agent was able to verify and provide more context on the discount/offer.

I think Optus really need to reconsider how they contact customers; cold calls that sound very "scam-my" from a phone number that is "disconnected" is not exactly a very good look.

What's worse is the staff don't know how to respond to a request to "somehow" prove they're from Optus....

Anyway, appreciate your help.