cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Cooly93
New Contributor

$2 Days 3G Ready Disconnection

I'm sure I like many of you have been on the "$2 Days 3G Ready" plan for as long as I can remember.

So, I was pretty appalled when I got the text last week, telling me that my plan is going to take a raise to $3 a day. 

Don't get me wrong, $3 is only a small increase, but in a 30 day period, it's jumped dramatically from, $60 to $90.

I feel ripped off, like is it even possible, or more so,  is it legal for them to just change our Prepaid plan on us just like that. Fair enough they text to give us a heads up, but I feel as though those of us who are still original "$2 a day Unlimited", & have been for a long time, we should still have the right to stay on our "$2 Days 3G Ready" plan & continue to pay only $2 per day, until we are ready to change plans. Not get forced into paying more for something that can't be beaten. And anyone else that wants to join an unlimited data plan, then should have to sign up for the new plan, which would see them paying $3 per day. 

Like is there something we, as a nation of "$2 Days 3G Ready" customers can do to prevent being bullied into paying an increased price for the same service that we have been loyal to for a long time?

Are we entitled to seek legal advice to prevent this? Or if enough of us complain, will they leave our plan alone? 

I'm interested in hearing back from you other guys on your ideas and thoughts.

Cheers

4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: $2 Days 3G Ready Disconnection

Remember that its prepaid and not a contracted service.

Ample notice period for the change was provided of the change allowing you to move to a current plan on offer.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Prepaid (like month to month internet contracts) cut both ways. You are free to come and go any time but so is the company you are dealing with.No doubt you've been with Optus for some time but prepaid isn't 'loyalty' IMO. Just a mutually beneficial arrangement that can be ended by wither party when it ceases to be mutual. 

The mobile industry (Optus?) recently saw price rises across the board so you're not alone in being forced to re-evaluating your deal. FWIW I'm on a 20Gb monthly deal with unlimited calls (4G) for around $20 a month (12M contract with Optus) If you were spending $60 a month (and now $90 a month?) then it might be time to sign up - especially as you don't seem to be using the main benefit of prepaid (choice). You won't get that deal but Optus regularly have specials that should drop around 10Gb+ for around $30 or so. 

Note another big benefit of prepaid is no excess data usage fees (so bear that in mind)

Anyway, I don't think Optus will be returning to $2 3G now. The technology is moving on and so are the plans. Time to look around?

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Comment_deleted
New Contributor

So in your opinion a person who signs up for a 12 month contract then at the end of that period changes providers was a loyal customer according to you vs the prepaid customer who has been continually paying every month for say 5-6 years in my case and states they are prepared to continue paying every month until their head explides. Ok so we’ve established your opinion of loyalty rests with how quick you can escape out of a deal. Funny when someone who can escape but chooses not to is not considered loyal according to you.

As for your plan of 29gb and making a comparison to the letters author and their lack of using the main benefit of prepaid choice, do you realise that with the $2/day offer it included UNLIMITED data so what a surprise that there are no excess data charges. I’ll let that sink in and feel perhaos you don’t really know what you’re talking about. Now can you tell me which plan for $60/month provided unlimited data, calls and text? I didn’t think so. 

Regarding your comment on the technology with 3G moving on, can you advise whete it’s moving to and when, also what are your sources besides a CSR on chat giving you your advice?

This may come as a surprise to you but no telco values loyalty anymore if they ever did, further this offer was increaed as an underhanded method to force people to pay more on a plan with a data limit so people like you can further increase your payments with no doubt an automatic $10 for 1gb charge for exceeding quota as an example.

Why am I so cynical, perhaps the Optus rep  I dealt with in store who rolled their eyes at me and agreed it was a typical corporate thing to do when a customer is on a good wicket gave me the impression.

I appreciate your role here in defending Optus with your itty bitty loyal contract and your highly knowledgeable and accurate advice, I look forward to more of the same.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Welcome to the forum @Comment_deleted .

Lots to think about there. I would caution you that people often project their own prejudices and feeling onto others in chat's like these. I think your (self acknowledged) cynicism might be getting the better of you. For one thing it would seem we agree on many of the issues you've raised. 

You make a good point about how 'loyalty' could be expressed and I would think it an excellent strategy if Telcos noticed repeat customers and perhaps rewarded that with things like one off bonuses or even better extra monthly data etc. I suppose the recent move towards rollover data (another benefit of prepaid over postpaid) is one such reward.

I agree totally that loyalty is no longer rewarded and in fact the opposite is now true with those customers unwilling or unable to look around essentially seen as mugs to be hit with the lazy tax - why would you give incentives to people that never leave?

I didn't know the $2/$3 plan is unlimited, but that makes sense of why it was recently increased in price. Even though 3G is only around 5 Mbps these days of much increase uTube streaming, Netflix, etc. have presumably seen a steady increase in the actual amount people on this plan download each month.

What many people don't realise is that unlimited data is often a ploy to essentially get people to pay more for the same. I mentioned my plan purely as one example. If the OP generally uses less than 20Gb a month then they could save a lot of money. As I said, perhaps time to assess actual usage and see what else is around. 

3G shut off in the 2020's. It seems a new 'G' is introduced every ~10 years, 2G 1990, 3G 2000, 4G 2010, 5G 2020 and 2G was recently decommissioned. Spectrum is valuable and limited so there's no point keeping aging technologies on indefinitely. But my point wasn't so much about 3G but more I don't think the Telcos are going to be looking to innovate and spruik 3G much more. If they can grab a lazy $90 a month off customers then why not but otherwise they're focused on 4G and rapidly moving into 5G.

Anyway, personally I have no issue with Optus coming up with any deal they want. $2, $3 or $10, so long as its upfront and customers can decide if they want to take it or not.  There's been nothing underhanded here just a price rise. Where I do take issue is when Optus engage in underhanded methods that remove controls and end up costing customers. You mentioned the auto $10 topups which are a big bug bear of mine. Also recently the Premium SMS scam was finally shut down with Optus behaviour labelled 'reprehensible' and it given the maximum fine possible by the ACCC.

So not defending anything in particular. I just don't see anything wrong with Optus increasing prices on this occasion. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors