Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

$180 SIM starter Kit debacle.

I've been with Optus for years now, and was happy to stay on as an Optus customer after my current phone plan was ending, and that's why I purchased the $180 SIM starter Kit online. On the description it states that you can transfer your number from another provider or get a new number, but does not say that it if you are already a customer with Optus you cannot transfer your number. 

I've been on the phone with 3 different people this morning and even visited an Optus store because no one could help me and they kept passing me on to different departments. Ultimately, I am now stuck with the new SIM with a choice of either throwing it in the bin or activating it and using a new number because for some unknown reason Optus cannot transfer a number from one Optus SIM to another Optus SIM, but they can happily transfer a number from SIM of another provider?? 

One of the customer service guys even told me that many Optus customers have mistakenly purchased this SIM without knowing that you cannot transfer your existing number. 

Has anyone else here had this problem?

I've asked for a refund, but was told that they can't even do that and if I want, I can escalate the issue by lodging a complaint. 

Optus, is this really how you want to treat a loyal existing customer? I really have enjoyed being with Optus thus far but this has been really disappointing. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: $180 SIM starter Kit debacle.

@TNoori  Someone else maybe to confirm this, what about if you purchased a cheap short term sim from another telco ported out until your other telco sim nearly runs out and then port back to Optus using your starter kit sim with your existing number.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Transfer your number from another provider or get a new number"

https://offer.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid/sim-card/180-sim?SID=con:homepage:sd:pre:may20:180

FWIW I don't think Optus are trying to be deliberately misleading, they just haven't used great wording. In other places I believe I have seen this offer badged with "new customers only". I can see as you could read that as extra features and not restrictions that are your only options.

I would take a screen shot of the above. Download the CIS (the new customer / number requirement isn't flagged there either). Make a written complaint to Optus

Customer Relations Group, PO Box 306 Salisbury South 5106.

That likely won't be agreed to but then you have a complaint number and can move onto the TIO. They will take it from there. Not sure if that will work but its an option.

Alternatively put the $180 SIM up for sale for $120 and swallow the $60 hit (Or sell it to a friend or family member).

Its ironic that you end citing customer loyalty. This plan is set to essentially exclude loyal customers. If you're a new customer then you get what is a really good deal.

Good Luck. FWIW you can find a similar deal at BOOST (although its only $150 for 80Gb, however the $300 for 240Gb for a year is also good value) You can transfer in your existing number when you activate it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"and then port back to Optus using your starter kit sim with your existing number."

Nice idea @Tigers1719, but I think once you have the SIM its number is set. If you ported back in the way you suggest Optus would provide a another new SIM which they'd apply your number to if you requested (but it would be for a whole new prepaid plan).

In hindsight the OP should have ported out to a $2 prepaid option at any other Telco and then requested back into this Optus deal immediately. Optus don't have to require this but presumably customers having to waste this time and money jumping through the hoops means that many don't do it and accept the lower value plans for being a loyal customer.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload I haven't activated the new SIM, yet, so technically no number should be assigned to it, right?

Hopefully a representative from Optus can confirm this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@petergdownload Maybe Optus works differently, but the last few times I have changed phone providers I purchased a sim and when I activated it, I was given the option of keeping my existing number.

My understanding is the OP has not activated the sim at the time of his post.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You get the solve for this thread @Tigers1719. That should indeed be how it works.

@TNoori, just pop down to the local store and pick up a $2 SIM (make sure they have the transfer number across option because not all do). Activate it online and grab your existing Optus number. Hopefully that takes under an hour. Then just activate the Optus Prepaid and grab it back.

If you want to stay home then I'd suggest say Amaysim $5 deal

https://www.amaysim.com.au/plans/mobile-plans/unlimited-xsmall

They should send yo a SIM in a day or two.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

As you mentioned BOOST, does it matter if one takes the service from BOOST or Telstra directly? I heard when it comes to signal quality in peak hours, priority is given to direct customers and then to MVNO customers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Boost is unusual in that it the only MVNO that provides the 100% the exact Telstra coverage and performance. They're also a lot cheaper (if the data usage profile fits).
0 Kudos