Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor McBrewer
New Contributor

12 Month Contract Cancellation Fees

Hey guys,

I'm interested in upgrading my sim only plan to a new 12-month contract.

What will my cancellation fees be if I leave early? For example, if I leave 6 months into a 12-month contract?

I have seen that the max fee might by $144 and then reduces every month. Does this mean the charge is $12 for every month before 12 months?

Many thanks

3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 12 Month Contract Cancellation Fees

Thats exactly what it means.

All contracts are a bit different so your best bet is to jump onto LIVECHAT and request a payout figure.

Also depending on the plan you want the fee may not apply (but probably will)

Peter Gillespie

NB If you're looking for a slightly safer internet for free then also look into Open DNS

0 Kudos
New Contributor McBrewer
New Contributor

Thanks Peter! I initially asked on the Live Chat and they said they were not able to find out those details.

My one concern is that it gives the minimum total cost over the 12 months. As long as I'm not required to pay that minimum should I leave early, then I'm happy to pay a reasonable termination fee.

I'm interested in the $45 Sim Only plan that is currently 20% off. Do you think it's reasonable to assume the $12 per month is correct or that I should wait for an Optus response?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Try LiveChat again - they're a bit variable in capability so you'll probably get a different answer. One of the main tasks they should be able to perform is 

a) What plan are you on

b) how long till it expires 

c) What is the payout figure

What plan are you on now? For plans that do have a cancellation fee optus always pro-rata this amount as the plan continues (so after 6 months you only pay half the fee). You'll need to crunch the numbers if the extra data and reduced monthly amount is worth the cancellation fee.

Regards

Peter Gillespie