cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Scottozy
New Contributor

12 Month Contract Cancellation Fees

I have have iphone 7 on optus plan for almost 2 years. 

Why am I still paying same amount as I did when I first got the phone. Shouldn’t the phone be fully paid for by now?  I’m on an $80 a month plan

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 12 Month Contract Cancellation Fees

So phones on plans are 24 month contracts.

Your monthly plan is normally comprised of the plan itself plus any handset repayments if they were above the plan cost.

E.g. $65 plan + $8 handset a month for 24 months.

At the end of the 24 months you would have paid for the handset so would only be charged the plan cost.

Optus will not move you to a new plan without you requesting it once your 24 month contract has finished.

Your monthly invoices will show handset repayments and how many are left.

E.G. mine shows: Samsung Note 8 64GB BK OV HSET (19 of 24) which means I have a few more months left to go until its paid off.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Optus does not change the plan because "the contract ended", you simply continue on the raw plan cost without any discounts/credits etc etc.

What does it show on your bill?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Scottozy
New Contributor

Thanks for reply. I have looked at my last monthly bill. I can not see any reference to my phone purchase as you suggest. 

Where on the 3 pages of the bill should the number of payments left on the phone purchase be?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So you did not get the iphone 7 from Optus and you signed up to a sim only plan? 

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor Scottozy
New Contributor

Hi. Yes I did get the phone from optus on the $85 / month plan. Yes I have had the phone 2 years. There is no mention on the bill about how many payments are required to pay off the phone, I will try looking at much older bills to see if that is seen on them or not. 

My original question is, if I have been on the same $85 plan for more than 2 years, and the original plan includes a fee for the phone purchase, why am I still paying the  full fee?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Generally plans with a phone help pay for the phone hardware itself. 

If it is a very expensive phone then you normally will pay a monthly hardware charge over 24 months. 

E. G. $85 plan and $9 handset charge.

If the plan covers the hardware cost so you dont have to pay a monthly hardware charge then thats what happens. 

You finish a contract, you stay on the current plan, if you had an extra hardware payment that also stops at end of contract. 

If your out of contract then you are free to sign up to a lower priced plan as you wish, it wont happen automatically. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Exactly as was mentioned right above by @Paddylee 

If you have seen out your plan, then the plan itself will continue to bill but the "handset charge" will stop showing up.

So you might see something like

DATE to DATE - $100 Flex Plan

DATE to DATE - $5 iPhone9 (Payment 12 of 24)

(This is purely an example).

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
New Contributor Scottozy
New Contributor

Thanks all for your replies. 

I feel a bit stupid but I have worked out the issue. I’m on $85 plan. But looking back through old bills I have paid $114 a month. So that’s $85 plan + $29 for the handset. I always assumed wrongly that $85 included the handset fee but of course it does not. 

There are so many deals available elsewhere now my handset is paid for, so to save money I feel it is time for a change. Thanks again all. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors