Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

$100 fee to upgrade service?

LaurenM

I upgraded from the $30 My Plan Plus 12M SIM (Special Promo) to the $35 My Plan Plus 12M SIM (Oct 18) back on the 11th of February. I've been hit with a $100 fee... for opting to pay more.

I acknowledge that the CIS states the following:

You can change your plan during your contract term to another 12M SIM Only (online) plan provided you move to a plan with a higher monthly access fee. You cannot change your plan during the contract term to a plan with the same or lower monthly access fee. If you change your plan during your contract term a fee may apply.

However, at no point during the upgrade process was it stated that this fee was going to be $100! That's a heck of a lot to be hit with when all I was trying to do was keep my plan current. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I just have to eat this fee or can I request it be retracted, especially given that the CIS doesn't confirm that the fee is a definite charge and doesn't give any indication of how much it would be?

Highlighted

Re: $100 fee to upgrade service?

petergdownload

I agree the Optus CIS are to vague in several areas (the upgrade process is definitely one). However they are a summary document.

Optus doesn't make it clear at all that this upgrade must be made within the same family of plans. So My Plan Plus 12M SIM (Special Promo)  is one family and My Plan Plus 12M SIM (Oct 18) is another family. Switching between these is effectively the same a cancelling your original plan and taking any penalties involved. 

It should definitely be made crystal clear when any new or recontracting plan is taken on exactly what all the costs will be. Unfortunately Optus doesn't do this and its internal systems don't seem sophisticated enough to do it. That said, Optus do look to rectify unintended issues like this once you contact them. You could request the waive the fee or put you back on your old plan and hopefully they will - let us know.

Peter Gillespie

LaurenM

I emailed via the complaint form as I couldn't find any other online contact form on either Monday or Tuesday but I haven't heard anything back yet, which is disconcerting; I would have thought I would at least have had an automated reply.

I think I'll have to go into one of the stores this week before my bill becomes overdue, which unfortunately adds to the frustration.

Solution

petergdownload

Stores can't change billing arrangements. They'll just request you call Optus to discus the matter (They'll let you use one of the store phones to do it though)

Have you talked to optus on the phone or LIVECHAT?

Peter Gillespie

LaurenM

Oh Peter you're a lifesaver. I'll skip going in store and give them a ring when I'm home from work. Thanks mate.

LaurenM

Live Chat did the trick. I spoke with Audrey (I think that was her name; I know I got it right in the actual chat feedback) and she was lovely! She confirmed that as I had upgraded to a higher plan I did not need to pay the fee and she took it off my bill. Though I was advised it could take up to 24-28 hours to show on my bill, I checked on a whim the next morning and it had already been done, so it's all sorted now.

Thank you for your guidance Peter!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
131 Kudos
128 Kudos
98 Kudos
87 Kudos
56 Kudos