Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor mrearthpig
New Contributor

$10 extra data. I don't want it!!

Hello people,

A couple of weeks ago my family and I moved house. We don't have home broadband yet. Hopefully this will be sorted shortly.

Needing internet access, I purchased an Optus mobile broadband modem which came with 4Gb of data. The kids chewed through this quite quickly. So I decided that they could live without YouTube etc until our home internet is connected.

Still needing internet access, I set up a Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone. We went through the 3Gb of data included with my plan and an extra Gb of data was added for $10. No problem.

We went through the next 1Gb of data and an extra Gb was added for $10. No problem.

We went through the extra Gb and another Gb was added for $10. This was also no problem. With only a few days to go I figured I could manage this Gb by monitoring data usage through the Optus app and turning my data on and off.

Last night I got a message saying I had used 882Mb of this 1Gb. That was fine. There's only 3 days to go until my data reset and we are away camping this weekend anyway.

Today, despite turning my data on and off to limit it's use, the Optus app tells me I still have 80Mb to play with for 2 days. Not a lot, but doable.

This afternoon, I get a message saying I've used my 1Gb of data and another Gb has been added for $10. 

I don't want this 1Gb. With 2 days to go and being away for the weekend, I really couldn't care about it - other than to come here and post this.

Optus tell me there's nothing they can do to make this an "opt in" procedure. I find that hard to believe. I should be able to send a text to add the extra data, not have it added automatically.

Does anyone else find it frustrating?

13 Replies
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Re: $10 extra data. I don't want it!!

Hi @mrearthpig I can get where you're coming from. I also apologise for the late reply to your message. Generally speaking, the usage alerts are up to 24hrs delayed and we'll alert you as soon as we can with the excess usage. 80MB really ins't a lot of data at all. As we used to charge $256 for a while GB, you'd only have to exceed by 40MB to be charged $10. As most App updates are over 40MB when downloaded it can be very easy to use 80MB without even realising it. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor helpinghand
New Contributor

I have been hit with this 3 times now. 

The worst was 3 hours before my usage reset for a month. Therefore I was charged $10 for 20mb of usage. 

Is this even legal to mix these types of charges - on post paid plans that is. 

I always email back but never get a response. Probably one for the ombudsman?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@helpinghand, the usage alerts can be delayed by up to 24 hours so the data would have been used prior to the messages being sent. We do offer tools as a guide to help keep track of data usage such as the Optus app and My Account. I've also included links here and  here with more info on data tips. If you've got the Optus app installed there's a new feature called 'Insights' where you can view what's using your data. Have you checked this out? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor helpinghand
New Contributor

That's not the point. You are charging $10 for data that I cannot possibly use in the timeframe. It should be prorated and not paid in full up front. 

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@helpinghand, the terms of the plan are outlined in our critical information summary which can be found online and state that once you exceed your monthly allowance charges will apply. I'd recommend keeping track of your usage through the Optus app or online to avoid additional charges. The alerts are also sent at 50%, 85%, 100% and when you level up. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Patstrx1700
New Contributor

Yep..knew i should of kept the old true pre paid..never a problem..never ran out ever..now ive used 85% with 20 days left..i smell bs..gonna get charged obviously after reading all the above..searched how to turn it off..up yours optus..i regret you and never again once 12 bloody months is up

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @Patstrx1700, that's not good to hear and really sorry for the delayed response. May I please confirm if you still need a hand with your enquiry? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Lollylover193
New Contributor

Ok First, So last night I was on my data of 29gb and I get a notification of a extra data for $10 so I just go along with it then 15 minutes later when I finish dinner 6 notifications for extra data and I wasn’t even on my phone I am frustrated and going to my Optus store to figure out what’s going on they’re taking money out from us like 6 gb in 15 mins! That’s some of my 29 gb of a month!! 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Do you monitor your data usage? Do you get data usage alerts prior to going over your monthly included data?

The store may help you but to figure out what's going on you're likely better off to please chat with us.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors